Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Long range lasers?

I'm looking for a laser pointer that will be visible in the daylight at least 1/4 mile. I am wanting to use it for a fence post line. Anything reasonably priced for this?

Do you mean to see the beam or the dot?
Plus, do you mean in direct sunlight?
If so, that is not happening as the sunlight will over power the beam and you will not see the beam. The only way possible would to use a very, very powerful laser which would be absolutely unsafe, do it at night/dark or to use particulate in the air such as fog or smoke.

Do you mean to see the beam or the dot?
Plus, do you mean in direct sunlight?
If so, that is not happening as the sunlight will over power the beam and you will not see the beam. The only way possible would to use a very, very powerful laser which would be absolutely unsafe, do it at night/dark or to use particulate in the air such as fog or smoke.

I just need to se the dot to know where to place a post not at night though needs to be direct sunlight

Probably something as simple as a 5mW greenie would work. I don't know for sure, but it's worth a try as these are like 5 bucks on ebay

Great, you will want to use a green laser as it is the most visible in direct sunlight to see the dot at a 1/4 mile away. I feel that you will need more than 5mw to see the dot a 1/4 mile away. I just shined a 60mW 532nm(green) laser on a tree that far away in the sun and I could barely see the dot.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

Teej

Yeah, on wood, the 5 mW's dot would not be visible at 1/4 mile....at all.

You are also going to have the dot get larger with distance.

So, what's your budget?

:D

Ohh I thought standing next to the dot with the laser 1/4 miles away. Well, I think something like 100mW will be better then

Ohh I thought standing next to the dot with the laser 1/4 miles away. Well, I think something like 100mW will be better then

Buy a 5mw laser from Ebay to test whether the dot would be visible on the post while standing next to it before you buy a more expensive laser. I suggest mounting the laser on a sturdy tripod.

Someone will be next to where the laser point will be to set the post. It just needs to be visible from there and straight

Oh, in that case, a 5mW laser would do just fine. Make sure to put it on a mount so it doesn't move that much. Even a slight angle can be a meter difference at a distance

I use my 405 and a speed square for lopping off fence posts. I'm sure an over spec greeny will do the job nicley.
I bought a bunch of cheap pen lasers and got two overspecs.

Can anyone recommend a laser specifically price isn't really a bother of course cheaper is always better if value is good. And if the distance could go 1/2 mile in day it would be even better

APEX1

I don't understand why you wouldn't want a laser level for this?

I am interested in seeing that also from noobphaser215 and I could be totally wrong but the ones I am aware of need to be detected with the target or target stick because the beam is only several mW. It would be really dangerous to have 30 to 60mW spinning around at a work site for sure. I do not think their range is 1/4 mile. Here are some I found doing a quick search but I don't think any of them have the 1/4 range you need.
Laser Levels | Measuring Tools: Laser Levels, Measuring Tapes, Scales + Wheels | Construction | Northern Tool + Equipment