Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Little Problem with driver for MS-SSW II

TimTom

Hi guys,

yesterday I finally got sinners awesome MS-SSW II host.
I already have a Laserdiode, Lens & a module. I have to buy 2 batteries and a driver now.. but there is my problem.

On a shop in my country I can buy good drivers, but they are too big for sinners' driver pill in this host. There are just one driver, who can fit. There a link, I hope you can open it. If not here a screen: http://puu.sh/7wfsB.jpg (Sorry for the german language, but I dont have another pic in english or similar)

The only problem with this "Micro Boost High Efficiency" driver is, that it just accepts about 5V but sinners host is made for 2x 3,7V li-ion batteries. So I'll need a driver who accepts about 9V.

Sure I can order a driver from DTR, but I don't want to order a second part from antoher land because the shipping takes a really long time.

So maybe I will try to make an own little driver, who fits into the driver pill. How I can do this, I guess I already know. "styropyro" has a good tutorial on YouTube.

What do you think about that? Should I build my own driver or what to do?

I'll be happy for each type of help from you!

Greetings,
TimTom

That driver is way overpriced. The microboost drive is $15 USD.

Also, that driver only goes up to 1 amp so it may not work for higher power diodes.

Also, because it is a boost driver, you only need one battery.

If your host uses 2 x 16340 or 18350, then you have to use just one 18650 battery.

:beer:
-Matt

TimTom

Ah okay, thank you for your reply. I'll prefer to use for my host 2x26650 batteries or just one of them and one "adapter" for replace the size If I don't find an answer for my problem there.

In that case I recommend you use a buck or linear driver. Check out lazeerer's x-drive. Only $15 USD.

Very small too.

Check them out

:beer:
-Matt

rhd

I second that advice.

I never use drivers that I don't make myself. The only exception is would be the X-Drive. It's the only third party driver I would trust. Go with an X-Drive, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
You will have to order something from another country one way or another.

If you choose finished driver, go with rhd's advice.

If you choose to build your own driver, you will have to order components online.

Zeebit

Its one of those that we commonly get from DX. You can change the sense resistor to change the ouput current. You will need to attach a piece of heatsink on the IC if you run it above 1.25A.