Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lipo battery for running an NUBM37

additude

I have not used THIS DRIVER yet, but I have just ordered one to try out, supposed to be good for up to 120VDC output so all 4 strings could be run in series.

There may be similar with a smaller footprint, just need to search them out.
I received two of these and they are pretty cool. Did you play with yours yet?
I don't like that the output cannot be turned off completely.

Last edited:

I haven't received mine yet, I ordered from Ali-Express and tracking shows my local carrier has if 5 days ago..... should be here any day.
What do you mean the output can't be turned off completely ? That doesn't sound right...... Maybe there's a shut down feature in the menu ?
I would switch power to the driver...... if you cut power to the driver doesn't it start up at the last setting ?

additude

I ordered mine the same day you posted them. I have had lots of trouble with USPS lately. Mostly out of Rocky Mount, NC.....
Yeah, as long as there is an input, it's on the output. Then you select 0-9 memory location, set it up, then can select the setting ON/OFF or AUTO. When turning on a selection, it gradually raises the Input/Output to the set parameters.
You'll need to go visit the online tutorial at:

Well I just got mine from my mailbox, how about that.

It's a neat little PS, very simple to use and it appears that you don't need a load when it's not boosting ( while setting up ).

I put a series of 4 x 12V led's so a 48V load on the output and 4 x 18650 in series on the input and set group #1 for 48V and 0.5A and it works nicely, also show's the actual outputs, there is 16.2V on the output when the boost is off, however because 16.2 is below the 48V worth of led's threshold, there is no current when it's not boosting, if I had used incandescent bulbs then there would be current flow at 16.2v with a 4 x 12V bulb ( 48V ) load.

Now even though I turned it off in my group #1 and removed the battery, when I re attached the battery it came on and ramped up to my group #1 limits ( 48V ) as I left it in the AUTO mode when I removed the battery.

So setting it up and simply switching the battery will work to power a laser array with the click of a single switch when you leave it in the AUTO mode.

The trick is to have it set on " AUTO " by holding the set button for 6 seconds, that lets you toggle between AUTO and ------- so in AUTO it comes on in the group you left it in when you switched off your battery, but in ------ mode it will not automatically power on the boost when you switch your battery. So these will work very well and supposedly have only a 50mv ripple.

Button #1 is " + "
Button #2 is " SET " 6 second hold or double click
Button #3 is " - "
Button #4 is " ON/OFF " and " select " when in flashing SET mode.

SANY6913.JPGSANY6914.JPGSANY6916.JPGSANY6918.JPG

Last edited:

additude

Yes, it's a cool unit I agree. The simplicity of setting it / adjusting it to an output is by far less trouble than turning and balancing POTs on one of the manual adjust boosters, which was a real PIA to do.
I've set it up to dump an output of 50v into 8.1ohms, at 6.2a, at 308w. That is an NUBM37 in 2P2S configuration. 2 series strings in parallel.
For an input, I used 28.8v capable of 20a, 576w, which I substituted for 2-14.4v graphene LiPo's connected in series.
As you can see, the efficiency is about 75.9%
However at "Idle" it is 90%

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0327.jpg
    IMG_0327.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0328.jpg
    IMG_0328.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I guess my point is, once you set your parameters, there's no need to be " at idle " ...... Simply leave it in AUTO and switch your battery. But I'm sure you understand that and yes I get it that it would be nice if it didn't pass the battery through at idle, but again.... for our purposes there's no need to be at idle, other than when setting parameters. :) Actually we can set the parameters without a load connected, remove the battery, connect the load, then re-connect the battery through a switch and avoid the " at idle " situation all together.

Last edited: