Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

line lens

I want a 50mW green line laser,
The cheapest way to get one seems to be to DIY one.

Say I'd buy this 50mW green dot laser:
50mW 532nm 3.0-3.7V /Laser Diode Module/Green Laser - eBay (item 260541750065 end time Jul-20-10 20:29:51 PDT)

What do I need to look out for with selecting a lens?
- Do line lenses only work for one wavelength?
- Does it matter how far I mount the lens from the laser?

Say I'd buy this 60° line lens:
Line lens 60 degree for AixiZ 12X30mm laser modules - eBay (item 380145800291 end time Jun-29-10 17:24:38 PDT)

would it fit? (it's a different brand)

So basically I have two questions:

Plz answer if you know any of the questions.
Thanks

So basically I have two questions:

Plz answer if you know any of the questions.
Thanks

- Yes, but different coatings (if any) allow for better efficiency at different wavelengths.

- Yes, the Aixiz ones are (and most others I assume) are made to screw directly into the Aixiz module, replacing the focusing lens. Lines do not require focising :)

The module you are looking to buy on ebay looks like it has a lens screwed into the front of it and epoxied/hot glued in place. Ask the seller for the internal dimensions of the inner thread, this will help you decide if this is worth the effort to convert. If it is not ask one of the builders here to build you a cheap 50mW with an aixiz module, and you can replace the lens your self.

Jerry

Last edited:
If it is not ask one of the builders here to build you a cheap 50mW with an aixiz module, and you can replace the lens your self.

Jerry

What exactly do you mean by this?
How can someone build a cheap 50mW aixiz laser while they sell them for 125$ (five times as much as on ebay)

How were you planning on using the bare module you listed on ebay?

Do you have a host to put that module from ebay in?
Do you have the skills/experience to mount that module in said host?
Do you want to save yourself the trouble of building your own?

If you do yourself a favour and stick a posting in the buys/sell/trade section asking for someone to build a 50mW pointer for you using an axiz module, I can assure you it will not cost anything like $125. The Aixiz module is merely a "holder" for the diode. Which in turn sits inside a heatsink, which sits inside a host.

To make a complete laser pointer you would need:-

- Host
- Aixiz module (unless the host is drilled to press fit a diode into it directly)
- A heatsink of some kind (unless the host is drilled to press fit a diode into it directly)
- A laser diode
- A driver
- A battery

I hope that clears up my answer

Jerry

I see,

What does a host actually do? (why do I need it)
The module I've shown (the link to ebay) already has the driver and laser diode. Right?

The laser will be mounted on a machine, so it doesn't need a battery. (I'll arrange for a proper source)

I'm quite a DIY person, and I've got some DIY skills, I'm an electronics engineering student.

If it's not extremely hard, I'd like to do it myself. but I'm still kind of in the dark what parts I need...

Thanks for your replies