Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

limitless duty cycle secrets

MojoLA

I'd like to know if there is a reason, other than heat, why it's bad for the laser to keep It running too long.

I've been running a bunch of pointers and labs and cannibalized misc lasers at 100% duty and have had no trouble yet - but I'm keeping a small desk fan aimed on them, so nothing gets too hot.

When I first started out taping down the "on" switch of my 5 mw green, I noticed after half an hour - 45mins it would get pretty warm and the brightness started fluctuating (that's when I realized it probably wasn't meant to be on all the time) but as soon as I got the fan, everything went back to normal.

Is this "the secret to 100% duty cycle," or is there something (other than heat buildup) I'm not taking into consideration?

[as a side note, this was also the way I was able to do my battery torture tests and come up with the best rechargeable AAA for pens]

Just heat. Once you lose your first laser that cost you over $100, you start paying close attention to duty cycles.

erikk

hi, im new to the forum and lasers but looking for a laser with limitless duty cycle. i would like to keep it on for hours if possible :)

i found this

400mW 635nm Red laser Industrial Module /Focusable [OL-635-400] - $132.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

at o-like, there s not much specs on the site, but i can see the laser has a fan attached to it and i wonder if this one might do the job for me. it does say it has <10 mins preheat time, but nothing about duty cycle..

anybody have any experience with this particular one, or lasers with fans attached to them?

thankful for any help on this matter! :wave::thanks:

lasersbee

Hey erikk...

you will need to check the date of the last post before
posting... This thread is over a year old...:eek:
It is called necroposting... (bringing dead threads back
to life) and is frowned upon by the Forum community..

You can easily open a Thread in an appropriate section
of the Forum.. maybe even introduce yourself in the
Welcome section....

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited: