Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lights88 Violet 100mW laser

This laser has all the needed parts: Diode, lens and driver. It is rated for 100mW.

Wavelength :405nm
Power : 100
Laser Shape:Dot
Operating Voltage:DC3V-5V
Operating Current: <180mA
Operating temperature: 0 - 30 °C
Beam Effect: 120 dergee Line Effect.
Duty Circle:10 minutes on and 1 seconds off.
Size:14.5mm(D)*42(L) mm

I am using two AA batteries to power this. It can pop balloons pretty well. :p
However, the beam is almost not visible in lit areas- and I wanted to ask if this is normal for violet lasers. In a video comparing different mW of green lasers. Above 50 mW, the beam is quite impressive in lit areas, as my violet 100 mW is not. So if I am using wrong power or if this is normal, I would like to hear it.

it is normal don't get tricked about the visibility on the violet diodes from pictures because camera's generally captures better the 405nm wavelengh than our eyes do

it is normal don't get tricked about the visibility on the violet diodes from pictures because camera's generally captures better the 405nm wavelengh than our eyes do

Okay. Here is a video I found on a 100 mW violet laser and this kind of made me think I was ripped off. Though that laser can light matches pretty quick, and mine can't at all. I think the laser in the video is 150-300 mW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThAjfPpln-w

Last edited:

Encap

This laser has all the needed parts: Diode, lens and driver. It is rated for 100mW.

Wavelength :405nm
Power : 100
Laser Shape:Dot
Operating Voltage:DC3V-5V
Operating Current: <180mA
Operating temperature: 0 - 30 °C
Beam Effect: 120 dergee Line Effect.
Duty Circle:10 minutes on and 1 seconds off.
Size:14.5mm(D)*42(L) mm

I am using two AA batteries to power this. It can pop balloons pretty well. :p
However, the beam is almost not visible in lit areas- and I wanted to ask if this is normal for violet lasers. In a video comparing different mW of green lasers. Above 50 mW, the beam is quite impressive in lit areas, as my violet 100 mW is not. So if I am using wrong power or if this is normal, I would like to hear it.

What is it you want to do or accomplish?
Ask for advice before you buy if you have no knowledge of lasers or what you are doing---common sense.

Nobody is going to know about that specific unit--it is what it is--is not something anyone would normally buy except for a special purpose.
You can guess form the spec 3V 2XAA is the minimum voltage for it to function at all--right?
Try using you 18650 that you said you had to power it and get a better result.
A 50mW 532nm green beam 31 times brighter and dot 95X brighter than a 100mW 405nm

405nm and 532nm are apples and oranges visually.
405nm is not very visible compared to 532nm green of same mW due to wavelength sensitivity of human eyes
At same output power a 532nm green beam is 100X brighter than a 405nm and 532nm dot 190X brighter if that is what you are asking so....
See: Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (405nm 100mw) vs. (532nm 100mw)

Last edited:
Nobody is going to know about that specific unit--is not something anyone would normally buy except for a special purpose.---you might try using you 18650 that you said you had to power it and get a better result. A 50mW 532nm green beam 31 times brighter and dot 95X brighter than a 100mW 405nm

405nm and 532nm are apples and oranges visually.
405nm is not very visible compared to 532nm green of same mW due to wavelength sensitivity of human eyes
At same output power a 532nm green beam is 100X brighter than a 405nm and 532nm dot 190X brighter if that is what you are asking so....

See: Relative Laser Beam Brightness Calculator: (405nm 100mw) vs. (532nm 100mw)
Alright. Thank you.

Edit: With a 18650 battery, the output is the same. I might have overestimated the power of 100mW. This laser works pretty well.

Last edited:

Encap

Alright. Thank you.

Edit: With a 18650 battery, the output is the same. I might have overestimated the power of 100mW. This laser works pretty well.

Study up on the real world of what you are doing or want to consider, at least enough to ask a question would be a start/good idea.
You keep coming up with questions like "what if I breed 3 elves with 3 leprechaun" type mixed up/confused questions that make little sense making people think you have to be a troll. Everything is possible in imagination/daydream world, not so in the real world, as you have seen.

You overestimated the visual brightness of 405nm perhaps --output power is output power and is the same for all wavelengths--visible and not visible-- is a measurement of power ---completely different thing from visual brightness.

Luminosity function or luminous efficiency function describes the average spectral sensitivity of human visual perception of brightness based on a standardized model of the sensitivity of the human eye.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity_function

Last edited:
Yes, I should say I overestimated brightness- not power. I expected 100 mW to be enough to pop balloons and not light matches.

That calculator is really cool. According to it, a 4w blue laser would not be as bright as a 100mW green laser.

Last edited:
That depends on how small of a dot you can focus it down to. The smaller the dot the higher the energy density of the beam. I have an 80 mW 405nm laser that can burn black plastic very well, but it focuses down to a fraction of a mm at close distances. You may be able to light a match it it is a black tipped match and the dot is small enough. That won't happen at 100 mW at long distances. Think in terms of inches, not feet.