Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Light scribe?

hay i have a DVD burner with light scribe thats not working and im thinking about pulling the diode out of it and i was wondering about light scribe.

anyone know what wavelength light scribe uses? im guessing IR or just the red but at a lower output but maybe someone here knows.

Thanks

lightscribe uses the red diode. Means your diode might be the higher end of 150 to 200mw rather than 150 to 100.

I bought an 18x asus lightscribe. The IR diode was easy and mounted like the BR diodes but the red was mounted sturdily in the sled and needed almost 1cm of cutting to get there. Since its in the sled, I can't tell whether its a closed can or not. I am thinking of putting it up for sale soon.

The best burner I've made so far has been from a 20x LG lightscribe burner. USe the red. It's open can and can take some serious current. Absolutely annihilates those 16x or 18x diodes.

so its really just a higher power red! thats awesome. now im really going to harvest the diode from it.

desslok said:
The best burner I've made so far has been from a 20x LG lightscribe burner. USe the red. It's open can and can take some serious current. Absolutely annihilates those 16x or 18x diodes.

do you know how much current is safe for thes diodes?

Ethator said:
so its really just a higher power red! thats awesome. now im really going to harvest the diode from it.

[quote author=desslok link=1204185541/0#3 date=1204215539]The best burner I've made so far has been from a 20x LG lightscribe burner.  USe the red.  It's open can and can take some serious current.  Absolutely annihilates those 16x or 18x diodes.

do you know how much current is safe for thes diodes? [/quote]

Well i have mine running at 300 ma, although I inadvertently shorted 2 leads of my circuit once, giving it about 400 ma, and it was insane! It was poking holes almost instantly through the black pastic spoons at my neighborhood chain coffee shop. But 300 ma is where it seems to burn good without getting too hot too fast. And it's a nice red probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 650nm but I can't say for sure.

I harvested a Lightscribe diode from a busted burner, I think its fine I have yet to test it.

do open can diodes fit into the AixiZ housing? is it just as easy to get them in?

Gazoo

Form my experience thus far, a diode from a lightscribe burner is NOT more powerful than a diode from a regular burner. All of my testing shows the open cans from 18X and 20X burners are exactly the same.

The only exception would be the open can with the short die that comes from the Lite-On's, and the reason is I didn't have my LPM-1 at the time I was using Lite-On open cans.

chido

At what current did you use to drive the short open cans Gazoo? And how long did they last?

Gazoo

chido said:
At what current did you use to drive the short open cans Gazoo? And how long did they last?

That was so long ago I don't remember... :p I know I did have one I was driving with 250ma's on and off for at least a couple of months. The positive pin became weak and turned causing the little gold wire inside the diode to break....don't ask... ;D It was an error on my part and I already know the open can pins are not as sturdy and the closed can pins.