Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Li-ion or Lipo battery source

I need some lithium ion or lithium polymer batteries to power my laser. What are some reputable suppliers? I need batteries that can handle at least 4A constant current.

Last edited:

ARG

What size? Hobby king has good RC style battery packs.

Hmm I was looking for something like this but with a higher constant current draw rating. Do you think I should just buy from Chinese suppliers or is that a bad idea?

Last edited:
Found this 6Ah , 65~130C Discharge , more than the 4A max discharge you wanted but similar size and capable of it .

Turnigy nano-tech A-SPEC 6000mah 1S 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack

Capacity: 6000mAh
Voltage: 1S2P / 1 Cell / 3.7V
Discharge: 65C Constant / 130C Burst
Weight: 143g (including wire, plug & case)
Dimensions: 93x47x18mm
Balance Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: 4mm Bullet-connector to HXT4mm

Looks pretty good thanks! Max constant discharge rate = 65C = 6Ah*65 = 390A? That seems quite high.

Last edited:
Yup. The cells are designed for low internal resistance, allows for high current draws.

I guess RC motors require really high current draws. I was just surprised that it was this high.

This should work, thanks all!

Benm

These can be quite high indeed. Normal operation on these things could be a flight time of 5 to 10 minutes so the discharge on average already needs to be 12C or so. This is however the average during that flight, at peak moments it could be a fair bit more so a (peak) 65C rating is not unrealistic.

For lasers you'd probably not use this much power, unless you wanted to make something really small with a thermally limited runtime and batteries to match.

These can be quite high indeed. Normal operation on these things could be a flight time of 5 to 10 minutes so the discharge on average already needs to be 12C or so. This is however the average during that flight, at peak moments it could be a fair bit more so a (peak) 65C rating is not unrealistic.

For lasers you'd probably not use this much power, unless you wanted to make something really small with a thermally limited runtime and batteries to match.

I calculated that I'd use at most 5A. I guess the higher limit doesn't have any downsides though. Though, maybe those new 40W blue diode arrays would need on the orders of 100A?