Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lens, heatsink and finally Axiz module...

daem0n

A couple questions in one thread.  I bought the Axis module and want to put the DVD-R diode into it, but nobody has mentioned whether or not you put the lens back on the module?  I was also wondering if anyone's left the heatsink on their laser diode?  I know it won't fit the Axiz module properly but the laser would probably last longer and be able to be on at a higher power level for longer periods of time...no?

daem0n

Re: Lenses and prisms...(and the axiz module)

Not sure if this is of use to anyone, but I took pics of the Axiz diode vs. my DVD-R diode (with heatsink).

Attachments

• compare_001.jpg
    compare_001.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 128

daem0n

Re: Lenses and prisms...(and the axiz module)

Side shot...

Attachments

• compar2.jpg
    compar2.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 116

Benm

You'll have to get it out of that heastink before it will fit into the aixiz module.

To focus your laser you obiously will need to place the lens back on the module, but you can power it up without the lens just fine.

LarryQ

Agree...

And getting the diode out of the DVD heatsink can be SUCH FUN!!!!! ::)

When pressed into the AixiZ module, the module takes on the roll of the old heatsink.

The lens and spring are indeed required...well if you want anything more than a bright scattered light it is.. ;D

The Spring keep tension on the lens so that it holds your focus setting.

If your AixiZ module came with a 5 Mw laser installed, that part is not used after beng pressed out of the module.
Nor is the worthless driver board the 5 Mw diode is soldered to..

Hope that helps.

Larry

daem0n

ok great, thanks a lot for the replies.  That does help.  I've tried "tapping" the diode out of the current heatsink but it doesn't seem to be moving.  What have other people done to get the diode out?  I know people use a vice sometimes to get the diode back into the housing.  Too bad the driver board on the Axiz is of no use, it's nice and small ;)  I'll just have to build DDL's driver.

And one last question, I found this on the drive's website:

"Depending on writing system performance, the drive writes DVD-R at up to 2X realtime. The secret behind the DVR-A03 is two-laser pickup, with a separate laser for reading and writing both CD and DVD media."

That makes it sound like it has two diodes, although I only found one (in the pictures).  I did find an interesting microchip with what looked like a lens and/or prism built into it...is it possible that is a CD laser?  I thought it looked like a sensor for input but maybe it's actually an output device.

I also found out on a site that they quote the burning power for DVD-R is (for my burner that I took the diode out of) in between only 6-12mw. Does that make sense? It seems VERY low.