Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Leded Rohm ???

I changed the batteries on my 650 and when I switched it on all I git was a faint red dot, I've checked the batteries, fine, checked and re-checked connections fine. The only thing I can think of is I've blown the LD. Any ideas why ???

Morgan

Remind us which batteries you are using again?

Sometimes batteries are just duds. Even if you are able to measure a correct output voltage they can, under load, output much less.

Did you determine your current draw to the driver? This will give a clue as to how hard you were driving the diode so it may help...

If it has indeed LEDed then I am sorry for your loss. Your first death is the next level of initiation into the laser hobby. It gave some good light though for a while. When you've nailed the cause for this failure and found no other way to resurrect it, just get on and replace it. You'll do this many more times yet in this hobby I'm afraid! ;)

M
:)

Last edited:
It was roughly 220mA i'm using 3aaa's and tried 6 new different batteries :(

Morgan

Hmmm, that's around the 200mA suggested, (after subtracting the 20-30mA for the driver). Not overly much for those I think. You've checked contacts so it's unlikely to be that. Check the current draw again with the LD in it's current state. If you're still drawing the same amount of current, it's likely that the diode has passed on as they will still draw the same but COD, (Catastrophic Optical Damage), will not allow lasing as before. At only £4 for one of these, however, the financial loss is at least small.

If you go for a diode to replace it, I would upgrade to the LPC-815 660nm, (or LOC for those that don't know!)

M

It's definitely passed away :( It was a bit of a sloppy build plus a realy tight fit for the driver and I bend the diode pins somehow shorting them out. Not to worry all part of the process I guess. I think I will go for a LOC next time :p

Morgan

Hey, it was your first build, it's not likely to be perfect!

If you need any build help, then you know where I am! ;)

M

Thanks M :) my second build was alot easier, mostly because of the room. If I had a smaller driver in my first build all would of been well (probably). But i was like cram it in, it works :)
Doh. Might get myself a smaller driver for that host more room to work with and less cramming :)

Learn by your mistakes (i mean mine)