Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED sticks and music.

I want to make my sound system at home a bit special with glowing LED sticks going with the beat of my music. Where can I buy some that won't blow up if I turn the volume too high? I'm thinking of just connecting it to the wire of the speakers...
Thanks. BTW I want blue or green LED sticks.

rkcstr

Connecting LEDs to your speaker amplifier is not a good idea. The speaker out is a voltage wave, meaning it swings positive and negative and that voltage can be much higher than your LEDs can take. LEDs wouldn't be good with a varying voltage either, they'd work better with a varying current. Your best bet would be to take a line-level signal (ie the connection for a line out) and use a circuit to convert the audio signal to a pulsed current relative to the beat.

This link is to a DIY lighting controller meant for stages and live music, but the circuits in there could probably be adapted to do what you need:

http://sound.westhost.com/project62.htm

Ace82

LED's no. but regular filament lights would work, as that is how they used to sell them way back in the day. Plus, you will loose audio power! I use winamp or wmp for cool effects on my system, and I have it hooked up to my main TV too!

Thanks for the info guys. :) rkcstr, I don't understand that website one bit :eek: :-[

rkcstr

haha, it is kind of complex... I'm not sure I could figure it out either, at least without research. You could basically use the "bass beat extractor" circuit to provide the beat to pulse conversion which would then need to be used to turn off/on the LED driver.

I've seen some things at stores that do what you want, so I'd look into something pre-made then you can either use as is, or modify to your needs.

lol i was going to post this too!

after some weeks

because i'm planning to do an LED audio rhythmic isotype in plexiglass