Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LED Cube

HIMNL9

Uhm, i suppose it can be done multiplexing some buffered latch IC, for reduce the number of outputs needed .....

Also, for the diode dying problem, i suggest to place individual resistors directly on each led terminal (except common) and reverse protection diodes on the output of each driver, in case of "big" assemblies (everything over 4x4x4 in RGB can be considered a "big" assembly, in hobby level ;)) ..... i know it almost double the soldering points, but with 1/8W resistors it can be easily done, and also, this save to dismantle the whole cube in case of a dead diode in a central crosspoint :)

Well, that actually is exactly what is happening now :p

Those 9 chips on the second board are multiplexing chips. I mean the microcontroller I use only has 20 usable output pins for the most part. ;)

And, next to each chip you see the 8 resistors. Since at one time there is never more then one layer connected, that means every LED is always seeing a resistor. Better then soldering 512 leds in place, no? :p

Last edited:
OMFG..
That is realy nice! I would love to have something to play with :D

xD Thanks! And as for how long it took, on and off for about a month, with 8 hour working times for the last two weeks. @_@

Also, making a second one! Check out the actual PCB's I had made for this one!

39207227_photobucket_57545_.jpg