Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lazerer payments

I want to buy laser from lazerer.com Why I can't select payment by credit card? The only options is Paypal.

Last edited:

Why don't you contact Lazerer and ask them, I don't think anyone here is going to know why you can't.

You could just set up a PayPal account and link your credit card to it - PayPal will then use your credit card for the funds.

My understanding is that paypal only draws funds from a credit card if your bank is overdrawn. Can't set a credit card as the primary funding source. I haven't been able to even add a credit card until a bank account is added first.

Correct me if I missed something or this isn't universal.

I setup an account, stated it as personal when it asked, it gives you the option to add a card after the sign up process, I added my debit card (literally the numbers off the card) , and it worked fine..

Unfortunately I don't know about credit cards.

Last edited:
I want to buy laser from lazerer.com Why I can't select payment by credit card? The only options is Paypal.

You can checkout using paypal and then use a credit card with paypal itself. The only difference is instead of entering your CC information in lazerer.com you will be entering it into paypal.

Afaik you can do this even without creating a paypal account, although creating one is free... so I don't see the problem.

Why don't you contact Lazerer and ask them, I don't think anyone here is going to know why you can't.

It's because for the moment paypal is still the easiest way for chinese merchants to be able to accept credit cards/payments.

There are a whole lot of hoops to jump through when dealing with international merchant services, so most smaller companies choose to bypass the issue altogether by only accepting wire transfer or cash.

Wire transfer is not an attractive option for retailers though, so they are left with either spending a ton in fees and dealing with a small mountain of paperwork to get a merchant account, or... they pay higher per transaction fees with paypal but avoid a ton of hassle.

You could just set up a PayPal account and link your credit card to it - PayPal will then use your credit card for the funds.

That would be the best thing to do, but not a requirement.

A paypal account is useful to have anyway though.

My understanding is that paypal only draws funds from a credit card if your bank is overdrawn. Can't set a credit card as the primary funding source. I haven't been able to even add a credit card until a bank account is added first.

Correct me if I missed something or this isn't universal.

Most paypal accounts are linked to bank account first, and to credit card second. The card serves two purposes;

1. To verify address.
2. Backup funding in case your bank account is empty.

You can however go into your account and change the funding source.

The problem with doing this is that if you do end up doing a chargeback using your CC instead of doing a dispute through paypal, you will likely lose the paypal account.

On PayPal UK I have a credit card only account...

Paypal policies do vary country to country. For example "confirmed" addresses feature is only valid for US, Canada, and UK. (And I'm not even 100% sure about UK.)

I setup an account, stated it as personal when it asked, it gives you the option to add a card after the sign up process, I added my debit card (literally the numbers off the card) , and it worked fine..

Unfortunately I don't know about credit cards.

Don't EVER send money as "personal" unless you trust the receiver 100% and are 110% sure they are secure.

I was in a situation where I sent money to a paypal account, after dealing with a merchant several times. I would normally just email him my order, and send a paypal payment at the same time.

Unfortunately after doing this, I received a reply that the paypal account was compromised. I opened a dispute via paypal, and since the dispute was for non receipt of item, I did get my money back... took a very long time though.

If I had sent the money as "personal" I would have had absolutely ZERO recourse through paypal itself. If I went through my bank, and claimed it to be a fraudulent transaction it would have meant I was claiming PayPal committed fraud. In which case there is a good chance that eventually I wouldn't have gotten my money back, and I would have likely lost my paypal account with five years of history.

Btw, just did a quick dummy order off of lazerer.com.... was able to get to paypal page to where I can enter in CC information, so what I said at the top is accurate.

Last edited:
I have found a lot (if not all) credit card processors can't tell it a debit card. Even pre-paid gift cards can pass.
Most debit card also do credit card type transactions (without a pin).

You can however go into your account and change the funding source.

My family & friend (usa btw) don't seem to have that option. I've tried to find it myself.

Last edited:
I have found a lot (if not all) credit card processors can't tell it a debit card. Even pre-paid gift cards can pass.
Most debit card also do credit card type transactions (without a pin).

Retailers can tell easily if it is a debit or credit card, but it's an additional feature and cost to them, so often they don't bother with it.

You can use a debit card as a credit card anytime, but a signature is required if you do, and of course you can't get cash back.... so while you can use a debit card as a credit card, the reverse isn't true unless you got a pin number for your credit card as well.

Of course taking cash out via credit card... rates are terrible, and generally most places you can pay with cash, you can pay with a credit card to begin with, so the issue does not come up for too many people too often.

My family & friend (usa btw) don't seem to have that option. I've tried to find it myself.

Gonna check in PP settings myself later... but there is a workaround for that. You can deplete the bank account that the PP account is linked to, then add a credit card of your choice as the funding source.

Just make sure to turn off overdraft protection with your bank. Many banks will allow you to overdraft your account quite a bit before they stop permitting charges, and the fees they charge are exorbitant.

Last edited:
Retailers can tell easily if it is a debit or credit card, but it's an additional feature and cost to them, so often they don't bother with it.
Then perhaps the cards can't be set a first funding source since their debit cards.
Would you know if they can tell a pre-paid gift card apart from a normal debit for certain?

I've know about the empty bank acc. workaround but I'm worried it would be a negative flag. I would think with the amount of accounts paypal has they might have an internal 'account score'. Higher scores might give a bit of resistance to being Frozen at paypal whim.
I trust paypal as far as I can throw them

Attachments

• paypal CC primary.jpeg
    paypal CC primary.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Then perhaps the cards can't be set a first funding source since their debit cards.
Would you know if they can tell a pre-paid gift card apart from a normal debit for certain?

I've know about the empty bank acc. workaround but I'm worried it would be a negative flag. I would think with the amount of accounts paypal has they might have an internal 'account score'. Higher scores might give a bit of resistance to being Frozen at paypal whim.
I trust paypal as far as I can throw them

Lol... yeah I don't really trust paypal... hence it's linked to a bank account, and confirmed with a debit card from the same account... no other cards on file.

I do see what you mean though. It used to be an option at one point, of that I am certain, however not anymore: Link.

Learned another interesting thing... apparently merchants can bill you directly to paypal, without you ever logging into your paypal account!

I was surprised when earlier today I ordered a pair of night vision goggles and didn't have to log into paypal in order to pay. (I have ordered from the same retailer several times in the past, so idk if that makes a difference.)

Apparently you need to enable protection for credit cards... or anyone with you paypal email, name and address can just bill you. To me that's a little scary.

In this case it does bill to the credit card though. I guess live and learn:thinking: