Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserSaber Project

Hello!

First post to this forum I'm really excited for my next project, the laser saber and laser staff. I've been experimenting with how LEDs and lasers interact with polycarbonate rods and it really is a sight to behold. I started learning how to spin a bo staff a few years ago and since then I've been rather obsessed with the idea of a light up bo staff.

I created a version in Solidworks a while ago but the stickershock on quoted goods made me put the project on hold. However my flashlight just recently died so now I have a pretty easy and cool looking host that won't cost me hundreds of dollars to machine...thanks China! The other benefit is that this host will allow the on/off button to be push on push off as momentary would be ridiculous this thing is going on a staff....

For the actual module I found this on ebay: 12mm 10mW 50mW 100mW 200mW Green Dot Laser Module with Driver Wire Spring | eBay
I'm not sure if it's the right choice. I think a higher power output would be desirable because the laser is traveling through a solid medium and green is the brightest to the human eye.

I will need to get a heatsink/adapter machined to mount the laser module to the flashlight host, but I'm debating how I want to connect the unit to the polycarbonate. I could use a thread but a 1"-20 thread means an extremely costly tap and die set. I have been considering using some magnets for this connection point that would be epoxied around the 1" diameter polycarb rod.

The same laser unit I complete using the ebay module and flashlight host will also attach to a shorter length of polycarb creating a lightsaber. I always worry about the possibility of cracking the neodymium magnets but I've heard that plastidip can help.

Anyways, being that this is my first laser build I would love some advice/help!!

Gabe

This sounds like a cool project! I would imagine you would need to put something at the end of the rod to stop the laser, depending on how strong a laser you're using, and the transparency of the polycarbonate :p I think I have a cool idea, using a 405nm purple laser instead of a green one. The reason I think this would be cool is cause you could switch out different 'blades' for others that fluoresce different colours, because purple lasers are great at exciting fluorescent and phosphorescent materials :D This means you don't have to make an entire new sword if you want a different colour. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response! That's such a great idea that I already thought of it haha most modules are around 12mm in diameter so I will have a set screw that pinches the laser module inside the heat sink housing and then the user can easily switch out the laser module for different colored ones!! Green, Red for sith, purple for mace windu. I'm wondering if I just roughen up the top of the polycarb rod if it will be enough to diffuse the laser. Maybe it would be cool to have the laser go through the top of the rod! I could also experiment with a mirror on the top to direct the beam back down and possibly illuminate the rod further.

Gabe

My god yes that's a great idea. Adding a mirror won't let any light go to waste!