Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Lasers for Controlling Saltwater Reef Aquarium Pests - A One Stop Shop

As questions are periodically and seeming to be more often raised about the use of lasers in controlling salt water aquarium pests, I wish to offer the following compilation of links and information for ease of referral to all our Reefer friends.

A few lasers that will work nicely:
2.5W Waterproof Laser - Reef Application - by andyman
2.674W "Maser" - Active Cooled MagLite 2D laser 445nm - by andyman

Survival Laser

New 1.5-2.5W 445nm Back Ice/Blue Ice/Flash Freeze Lasers

501B Lasers With Copper Heatsink From $80

http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/rick-trent-laser-kits-3w-445nm-79878.html

For Sale | Sci-Fi Lasers - * 445nm Lasers Are Available Now ! *

And Most Importantly:
Get Some Safety Goggles Now!

Cheap Safety Goggles Destructive Test: Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000

Laser Use Reference Articles from Saltwater Reef Hobbyist Forums and Blogs
Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

Zap Aiptasia Dead With Laser Beams! Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

Burn Demonstration Videos

Note that LPF & ReefCentral member CalmSeasQuest has compiled Developing Best Practices for Use of Lasers in Aquaria

Safety observations…This thing is scary-powerful. You have to be very careful.

An 1800mW laser beam is both terrifying and amazing. I used a cardboard box to initially set the lens focus. The very instant the end point was focused, it began cutting through the box. In just a couple seconds the beam had completely burned through the cardboard.

The Eagle Pair safety glasses do a great job of blocking light in the 190-540nm spectrum – All that is visible is an orange, pinpoint glow at the beam endpoint. Reflections are very difficult to see. This poses an additional risk and underscores the importance of first targeting with a low power laser (in a spectrum that can be seen while wearing the safety glasses) to test for dangerous reflections. It's also important to note that the glasses are designed to prevent against stray, reflected laser light – they are not designed to protect against a beam hitting you directly in the eye. After seeing the power of this, I shudder to think what would happen to your eye.

Caution is advised is determining the angle at which you lase through the glass or acrylic. You have to be careful not to use the laser perfectly perpendicular to the glass/acrylic as unseen reflections will result in lasing your hand. Even the reflection is quite painful and feels like being stuck with a thousand needles. I now wear a long sleeve shirt and nitrile gloves when using the laser as another precaution.

I have real concerns about any fish viewing the beam endpoint. Thus far, I've only used the laser in areas where no fish were present until I can fabricate a shield. I would NOT use this without a method to prevent livestock from viewing the beam end-point.

Even after extended laser sessions with the beam in the same spot, I detected no temperature increase in either glass or acrylic. I made sure all panes were clean. As far as impact to the tank itself - I believe it to be completely safe for use from outside an aquarium.

I've found it to be more effective if all water movement in the tank is stopped during laser sessions. The minimizes cooling keeps the targets still.
I've ordered a second pair of safety glasses (~$50) to enable an observer to photograph and video the process. Without eye protection, I would not allow anyone (or any pet) anywhere near the room with an active laser.

Reef Parasites
Parasites red bugs
Reef tank parasites
Coral pests saltwater
Nudibranchs aquarium
Frying pest anemones
Laser for aquarium use
Red bugs reef aquarium
Saltwater fish tank pests
Red reef aquarium pests
Laser for aquarium pests
Aquarium pest elimination
Burning anemones with a Laser
Controlling reef aquarium pests
Worst Saltwater Aquarium Pests
Pests Invading the Reef Aquarium
Reef aquarium pests and parasites
How to Get Rid of Reef Aquarium Pests

Last edited:

Re: Lasers in Controlling Salt Water Aquaria Pests - One Stop Shop Reefer Madness

I read about using lasers to help with pest control in a reef tank. Boyfriend surprised me with a laser for my birthday. From Wicked Lasers. Had to wait for nearly 2 months for it to arrive. Imagine our disappointment when it was so weak it wouldn't light a match. $650 for 2 watts of uselessness.

Thankfully someone on ReefCentral forums pointed me over here to LaserPointerForums. Someone from this forum is building me a laser.
He promises it will be strong. So excited! Even thinking of ways I can use it for detailing sculptures. So excited!

And yes, thank you, before anyone reminds me of safety, yes I understand lasers are dangerous weapons. I've been shooting handguns since I was 9 so I think I can handle this.

This is going to be super amazingly cool.....