Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserGlow or Optotronics??   Going to drop so

T

timelord

Re: LaserGlow or Optotronics??   Going to drop so

Talk to windstrings he has a hercules ;)

So that leaves me with my dilemma.. Aries or PPL..

Whoa is me..

Now I am curious, the PPL's have a circuit that shuts them down when they get too hot, but the Aries can stay on for a long time..is this due to more efficient heat dissipation on the part of the Aries? What's the story?

Catlmadg,

The Laserglow products have built in heat dissapation. The aries uses a heat sink and the Hercules uses a fan.  Hence they remain fairly cool.  You really should consider the Hercules i think. I like the fact that it is larger.  You can use it as a baseball bat if someone attacks you. Just kidding. I dont think the optics could stand a beating!  But seriously, the size of the Hercules will impress people as much as the power!  I like the idea of a fan.  Hope that just isnt another component that would break easily. Windstrings Hercules is VERY VERY cool!  See the videos that he made and the pictures he took.

The Hercules (and RPL) also has a 2.5 pump diode vs. 1.2 for the Aries and PPL and they are not much more in $$$$ in the 200mw range.

Neo

S

SenKat

Agreed - herc or Aries...Herc makes my Aries look like a penlight - in both stature, and beam specs ! Don't get me wrong - I TOTALLY love my Aries - and the beam is simply awesome to behold - the Herc is in a class all its' own !

Ok. Problem Solved.

Buying a Herc 250.

Thanks for All Your feedback.

YIPPEE!  Great decision on the Herc.  You wont regret it. I am JEALOUS! Please let us know the minute you get it! I think you are only the 2nd person on the forum to buy a Herc, but I may be wrong!

Neo

T

timelord

We'll look forward to some beasty videos and pics too ;)

I will definately get some pics and video..just happen to be a photographer/videographer..

I'll keep you all updated.

:eek:

Re: LaserGlow or Optotronics??   Going to dro

stevetexas said:
I saved $200 from Laserglow with a price match (Aries 225 and the Optotronics PPL 225). I should get it today or monday. It specs out at 268mW peak and 232mW stable.

I may be wrong about this, but the Aires you can leave on until the batteries run out - The PPL shuts off after 1-1.5 minutes. Not 100% Sure about that though...

Yea.. they were very generous... the Aries is much more bullet proof.

neocacher said:
SteveinTexa,

Why did you pick the Laserglow vs. the Optotronics. Without the price match, the Optotronics PPL is a better deal, and the beam divergence is 1.2 .

Apparantly there is something that you didnt like about the optotronics?

Neo

If I remember right.. the divergence on Senkats ARies 175 is 0.9 and my Herc is 1.1

Aries divergence spec is <1.5mRad, and they are often worse off. What I really like is that optotronics has the best beam specs, and the listed specs are true. I have heard of many out of spec Aries and Herc, as well as experience it personally, but never have I heard it about optotronics.

The trouble with the optotronics is the duty cycle, which can get annoying. It has heatsinking just like the Aries, but either because its not as well done, or because the optotronics lasers are purposely run less to improve life, they have a duty cycle.

Both lasers have their advantages and disadvantages though, and I don't think one could honestly declare a clear cut winner. From situation to situation, each has its purpose.

Of course we'd all like a laser with good divergence AND initial diameter, no duty cycle, and at least a half-decent price. Unfortunately though I have yet to see a single high power portable that fits much more than half of that description.

The technology have been improved on the Hercs and most of the Aries are under 1.4 according to laserglow.... you can always get them to test one for you like I did before you purchase.....

What good is it anyway, if it overheats?.... the heatsinking abilities are lacking on the optotronics... with a few modifications, they could be in the runnings.. I don't know why they don't...

I also hear laserglow has their own manufacturer now...