Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserglow no longer shipping handhelds over 5mW

I was just on Laserglow's website and it appears they are not shipping any handheld lasers over 5mW regardless if they have the 5 point safety system. I don't remember seeing this on their site before so I am a little confused. Does anyone know if they have changed company policy or has the FDA recently changed its regulations? If anyone can tell me that would be great. If this is not new news I apologize and mods should close the thread. Thanks!

There are a lot of anti-laser laws going through right now that are prohibiting laserglow's lasers from being shipped to the US. the FDA has been from what I understand, getting a lot of flak lately due to high powered lasers entering the country and being misused, either intentionally or unintentionally which is cause for concern. They're limiting their sales to eye safe pointers, and indoor only lasers. Its quite unfortunate, because lab lasers are too expensive for most people, and handhelds work for most applications better, but for fear of people pointing them at aircraft and things they've started to crack down on people who have them.

Once again, people who cant use things responsibly have to ruin it for everyone.
sadly...the government has to bring its fist down on people who've done nothing wrong....again.

So in other words, LG is now going out of business (unless that rule is only for the US)

EDIT: BTW not seeing where LG is saying this. There policy page still says:

Country-Specific Import Regulations:

In Canada: Consumers are not permitted to purchase portable lasers classified as Class 3B or higher, as per Health Canada regulations. You may only purchase a high-powered portable laser on behalf of an organization (company or educational institution) with a defined commercial or academic requirement for such a device, which has a qualified Laser Safety Officer. If you are purchasing a high-powered portable laser in Canada, we may ask you to provide proof that you satisfy the above requirements. Laserglow is legally obligated to ensure that the purchaser is not a "consumer" as defined by Health Canada.

In the USA: All of LASERGLOW’S laser products designated for sale into the United States are certified as compliant with FDA regulations, unless they are O.E.M. components, in which case they are exempt from these regulations.

All other locations: CUSTOMER, as the importer, is responsible for abiding by the import regulations of the country into which the products are being shipped. LASERGLOW does not maintain up-to-date records of all import regulations for all countries, and cannot be held responsible for any consequences resulting from shipping products outside of Canada.

• What countries do you ship to?

We are pleased to offer shipping of all Laserglow products to all countries in the world!

Last edited:
It's in the product pages only for the handhelds. we've started a discussion in the safety and legal issues section.

Its only USA they are not shipping them to. So I'm sure they will stay in buissnes

ixfd64

This is going to suck. But perhaps the LPF community could form some sort of laser reshipping service.

ixfd64

Hmm, that's a good point. In that case, it might be better to use an existing mail forwarding service. Speaking of which, maybe someone could create a list of reputable reshipping services.

The other thing I could think of is a group buy organized by someone outside the U.S.

Last edited:
Oh yeah very good point, a group buy from outside the US would be a good idea

ixfd64

I did a search but couldn't find many mail forwarding services that are based outside the States. I suspect they're not in high demand. However, if anyone knows any such services, please consider adding them to this thread.

Last edited: