Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

LaserGlow Aries Disassembly?

I recently acquired a defective laserglow aries laser, and am wondering what it takes to open this thing up.

I think the problem is the crystals have became misaligned, as I get quite a bit of IR output, but no green.

Help appreciated!

_Spyrorocks

JLSE

spyrorocks said:
I recently acquired a defective laserglow aries laser, and am wondering what it takes to open this thing up.

I think the problem is the crystals have became misaligned, as I get quite a bit of IR output, but no green.

Help appreciated!

_Spyrorocks

I have yet to see a crystal set be loose enough to just move out of alignment. This seems to be a popular misconception though. Even the cheapest of cheap DX type junk, have crystals that are well adhered into place. Two most common reasons that I have seen in my short time is A- a pump diode that is not putting out enough but still has a red glow and B- an overdriven crystal which has been burned and is now useless (5mW at best).

Are you able to verify that the pump is emmiting properly? If you go as far as removing the brass ring which holds the crystals, look at the face of the crystal where the 808nm enters. If a small black spec is present, or void in the coating,this would indicate that its burnt. Your best course of action would be to replace both the diode and the medium, but use the nicer optics found in the higher quality pens.

If the pen has a fast axis optic, burning crystals is very easy. They make for better efficiency, but I have found that a simple open can 808 nice and snug to the medium will yeild an average of 30% and is a little more DIY friendly :)

The pump diode is all good, I know that for sure because I can burn black foam with the IR that is emitted. I don't know anything about the crystals as of yet.

I just need to figure out how to open this thing so I can get inside, anyone have any advice?

JLSE

spyrorocks said:
The pump diode is all good, I know that for sure because I can burn black foam with the IR that is emitted. I don't know anything about the crystals as of yet.

I just need to figure out how to open this thing so I can get inside, anyone have any advice?

ren_chainsaw.gif

spyrorocks said:

Help appreciated!

_Spyrorocks

Is it emitting 808nm IR or 1064? If you can't see the faint red dot, then the Nd:YVO4 is still working... BTW Where did you get the laser?

Its emitting 808nm. I got it from the scopeguy group buy.

This thing really burns though... the ir...

JLSE

digital_blue said:
[quote author=spyrorocks link=1223319518/0#0 date=1223319518]I recently acquired a defective laserglow aries laser, and am wondering what it takes to open this thing up.

Help appreciated!

_Spyrorocks

Is it emitting 808nm IR or 1064? If you can't see the faint red dot, then the Nd:YVO4 is still working... BTW Where did you get the laser?
[/quote]

LOL, 1064 is PURELY INVISIBLE to the naked eye. Any faint red glow is 808nm. If you can see anything over 830nm you should be studied in the name of science ;) Or it would indicate that you belong to a Pyrophilous Insect family :-?

wannaburn said:
LOL, 1064 is PURELY INVISIBLE to the naked eye. Any faint red glow is 808nm. If you can see anything over 830nm you should be studied in the name of science ;)  Or it would indicate that you belong to a Pyrophilous Insect family :-?

Isn't that what I said?  ;) If you can't see anything, the Nd:YVO4 is working (AKA producing 1064nm)...

JLSE

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
808nm like the amount of posts you have?

;DYup ;D and roughly the ammount of $$$ it cost me to find that out ;)

JLSE

digital_blue said:
[quote author=wannaburn link=1223319518/0#8 date=1223324041] LOL, 1064 is PURELY INVISIBLE to the naked eye. Any faint red glow is 808nm. If you can see anything over 830nm you should be studied in the name of science ;)  Or it would indicate that you belong to a Pyrophilous Insect family :-?

Isn't that what I said?  ;) If you can't see anything, the Nd:YVO4 is working (AKA producing 1064nm)...[/quote]

My bad, didnt notice the 't in can :-/