Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laserbee 1 short review

If you want a power meter and don't want to spend a large some of money then I would definitely recommend the Laserbee 1. Jerry was very friendly and helpful with my many questions. They said shipping would take a couple weeks which it did but it was around the holidays and the weather was crazy. Came very well packaged and undamaged with instructions on the CD. I read the instructions from the cd and started it up (kind of). I don't have another power meter so I can't confirm its accuracy but Its readings do seem pretty good from what I can tell.
Bottom line: A good seller and a good LPM. :)

Heres some power readings according to the meter.

DX 35mW stage module at 500ma's: 60mW's
Diy open can at 420ma's: 210mW's
Diy blu-ray in project box at 85ma's:65mW's
Dorcy Jr. blu-ray DT-0811 diode at 110ma's:70mW's
Dorcy Jr. red with senkat diode:140mW's
Red laser/flashlight from hardware store:6mW's
Diy 635nm laser built from scratch:under 5mW's
led shop "30mW" module taken out of led shop pointer and possibly damaged when press fitting. :':) 15mW's
Senkat diode at 300ma's (going into white labby): 160mW's

--hydro15

JLSE

The_Muffin_Man said:
how much was it? :-?

$1,000,000,000

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

wannaburn said:
[quote author=The_Muffin_Man link=1232156098/0#1 date=1232156382]how much was it? :-?

$1,000,000,000

Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg
[/quote]

Yeah... I wish.... ;)

Anyone can see the LaserBee I and the Deluxe LaserBee I here....

http://www.bauer-electron.com/eby/eby1wlpm.htm

You can also do a search on eBay for "Laser Power Meter" there are
LaserBee Is for sale there at times..

Jerry

hydrogenman15 said:
If you want a power meter and don't want to spend a large some of money then I would definitely recommend the Laserbee 1. Jerry was very friendly and helpful with my many questions. They said shipping would take a couple weeks which it did but it was around the holidays and the weather was crazy. Came very well packaged and undamaged with instructions on the CD. I read the instructions from the cd and started it up (kind of). I don't have another power meter so I can't confirm its accuracy but Its readings do seem pretty good from what I can tell.

--hydro15

Hey hydro....

thanks for the Review and kind words..  :cool:

You hadn't mentioned it in your review.... did you know that you have the
Data Logging Feature included with your LaserBee I...
The PC Interface Software is on the CD... :cool:

If you have any questions using the LaserBee I... Just PM me... ;)

Jerry

I saw the lasersbee on ebay and thought about it but the build quality looks homemade and I don't know about the calibration, considering for 100 more you can get a pocket size Coherent Lasercheck. I guess if all your looking for is really cheep way to measure your power at home it's a good buy.

JLSE

xJumper said:
I saw the lasersbee on ebay and thought about it but the build quality looks homemade and I don't know about the calibration, considering for 100 more you can get a pocket size Coherent Lasercheck. I guess if all your looking for is really cheep way to measure your power at home it's a good buy.

The first meter I bought was a new LaserCheck, $500 later and I wish I would have got 2 laserbee I's. 100 times better ;)

lasersbee said:
[quote author=hydrogenman15 link=1232156098/0#0 date=1232156097]If you want a power meter and don't want to spend a large some of money then I would definitely recommend the Laserbee 1. Jerry was very friendly and helpful with my many questions. They said shipping would take a couple weeks which it did but it was around the holidays and the weather was crazy. Came very well packaged and undamaged with instructions on the CD. I read the instructions from the cd and started it up (kind of). I don't have another power meter so I can't confirm its accuracy but Its readings do seem pretty good from what I can tell.

--hydro15

Hey hydro....

thanks for the Review and kind words.. :cool:

You hadn't mentioned it in your review.... did you know that you have the
Data Logging Feature included with your LaserBee I...
The PC Interface Software is on the CD... :cool:

If you have any questions using the LaserBee I... Just PM me... ;)

Jerry[/quote]

Yes, I thought the data data logging was all that was on there and made the mistake. I haven't tested it out yet though.

--hydro15

xJumper said:

Who says the unit is "Homemade".... :-?

Our company has been in the Research & Development and manufacturing business since
1980 and we don't "home build" our products.

We test and calibrate the LaserBee I using a Newport 1825-C Lab Quality Power Meter.
We use a New 818T-10 Thermopile head designed for the Newport 1825-C LPM.
The LaserBee I tracks the Newport 1825-C to within +/-2% (that's an error of 4%)across its range.
We have designed into the LaserBee I a simple way for you to calibrate it against any known good LPM.
Its range is from 5mW to 1050mW.

We offer it to our customers in a simple functioning PCB format to cut purchase costs.
Anyone who so desires can mount the PCB into any enclosure they wish.
For those customers that want it already mounted in an enclosure, we have the Deluxe LaserBee I.

Not to forget the LaserBee I has a switchable Backlight, Peak Detection and a Data Logging
Feature including PC Interface Software.

The LaserBee I is a Thermopile based LPM.... the LaserCheck uses an optical sensor, and has
an accuracy of +/- 5%... that's an error of 10%.

For the price of the LaserBee I, we feel there is nothing on the market that will offer those
features and accuracy to the hobbyist on a budget. :cool:

[Edit]
In case you missed the link above... I'll post it again... the pictures of the LaserBee I products
are a bit larger than on eBay......

http://www.bauer-electron.com/eby/eby1wlpm.htm

Jerry

xJumper said:

What!?! :-?
I don't know what pictures you saw but it does not look homemade at all!!!

I have one too and it is awesome!!!

You can remove the LCD for when you make a case for it.

DSC00283.jpg

The microcontroller is a 16F628A the exact same one that I used in this!  ;D

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

Data Logging Software

untitled.jpg

-Tony

Xplorer877 said:
[quote author=xJumper link=1232156098/0#6 date=1232159958]I saw the lasersbee on ebay and thought about it but the build quality looks homemade and I don't know about the calibration, considering for 100 more you can get a pocket size Coherent Lasercheck. I guess if all your looking for is really cheep way to measure your power at home it's a good buy.

What!?! :-?
I don't know what pictures you saw but it does not look homemade at all!!!

I have one too and it is awesome!!!

You can remove the LCD for when you make a case for it.

DSC00283.jpg

The microcontroller is a 16F628A the exact same one that I used in this!  ;D

DSC00286.jpg

DSC00287.jpg

Data Logging Software

untitled.jpg

-Tony[/quote]

Hey Tony...
   thanks for showing the pics of your LaserBee I + Thermopile with the
LCD display un-plugged from the main PCB... Thanks for the Kudos... ;)

I can't for the life of me... understand how someone with at least a minimal amount of
Electronic Assembly knowledge can consider the LaserBee I "homemade"... :-?

Perhaps "xJumper" could enlighten us... and point out the "homemade" aspects of the
LaserBee I or even the Deluxe LaserBee I....

Maybe we missed something.... an experts input is always welcome.... ::)

Jerry

It looks good and is the cheapest around but until I can find one for £100, $250 is still expensive.

lamborgini8 said:
It looks good and is the  cheapest around but until I can find one for £100, $250 is still expensive.

You could come right here to the shop to pick it up... and save the
Shipping/Handling costs... ::)

That way the Standard LaserBee I would only cost you.. 142.55 GBP... :eek:

Getting close to your budget of 100.00 GBP....   :cool:

Jerry

lasersbee said:
[quote author=lamborgini8 link=1232156098/0#12 date=1232216531]It looks good and is the  cheapest around but until I can find one for £100, $250 is still expensive.

Jerry [/quote]

Close but still expensive for something I won't use very often. I only have 3 lasers and one un finished DIY build.

I can't think of any other uses for it other than lasers either.

lamborgini8 said:
[quote author=lasersbee link=1232156098/0#13 date=1232225290][quote author=lamborgini8 link=1232156098/0#12 date=1232216531]It looks good and is the  cheapest around but until I can find one for £100, $250 is still expensive.

Jerry [/quote]

Close but still expensive for something I won't use very often. I only have 3 lasers and one un finished DIY build.

I can't think of any other uses for it other than lasers either.[/quote]

From your Sig... i can see that you have a 50mW and a 75mW 532nm laser...
To test Green to IR lasers this may be more economical for you...

http://www.bauer-electron.com/eby/ebayhlpm.htm

That LPM Module only comes to 35.29 GBP... ;)

Jerry