Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser to burn?

Hello, I am new to lasers and know almost nothing about them. However, my boyfriend is really into this sort of thing, and I wanted to buy him a laser to pop balloons or burn some things. I got him a <5mW green 532 nm wavelength laser for Christmas, but other than looking pretty it doesn't do much. What would you recommend I buy him? Although price isn't a huge issue, I'd prefer not to spend like $1000 or anything extreme.

It depends on the quality of the laser, color, and what it can do. As I said, I don't want to spend anything obnoxious, but I also realize that a good laser isn't cheap. So I don't want to say I will only spend 300, when a really great laser is just 350 or whatever. I'm just looking for suggestions, and maybe some guidelines on what to look for myself... I really don't know a lot about this, I'm looking for guidance.

bata

Check out lazerer.com they have some pretty powerful lasers like the rifle that is garuntted to be 1.4 W or 1.5W for $219.99. But if you do get that you MUST get laser goggles unless you don't want to see through your eyes again.

If you looking for an inexpensive bright burner I'd recommend these lasers. You can pop balloons and do some light burning with these.
LZTN - Tiny 532nm 100mW Smallest Green Laser Pointer Key Chain
LZTN - 532nm 150mW Smallest Green Laser Pointer

The next step up would be a blue 445nm laser, it's the best power for your money. My recommendation is that you look around this forum's buy/sell section for a 445nm laser and buy from a member here.

The two main diodes for these lasers are the M140 and the 9mm blue diodes. You can get an M140 build w/ batteries for a around $150 for a weaker 1 watt power, they can get to over 2 watts but will be more expensive. Do note that these lasers take rechargeable lithium ion batteries. The other type is the 9mm build. These lasers tend to be maxed out for power and tend to output 2.5 watts or more but will likely run you a bit over $300 for everything.

If red is your fancy then a member here can build you one that will output .5 to 1 watt but they typically run from $250 to $350.

Or you could participate in this group buy we are having, might be worth your read.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f55/round-2-skylaser-laserbtb-groupbuy-79091-11.html#post1142184

Any laser over a 1 watt you can burn, see the beam and have a good time, but the number one stressor is that whatever laser you buy him, get laser safety glasses to go along with it, we will help you find a good pair. Even a second of direct exposure from one of these lasers can cause serious eye damage, not to scare you though, many of us here have been playing with lasers for years and are fine but that doesn't go for everyone.

So if you have more questions do use the forum search function first, maybe google, and if that doesn't yield answers then come back to us.

Also I wanted to mention, I'll be putting up a 9mm blue build up for sale later today if that's the direction you'd like to go. GL

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice! I'm at work right now, but once I get home ill do some searching. I really appreciate the help.

Lolvo

A custom build like this will be the best bang for your buck, Darlena.

If you were wanting one a bit more...manufactured...take a look at lazerer.com and their products.

If you really want to wow him and be that awesome girlfriend, get him a 445 (blue) laser that is upwards of 1W (watt) in power. I own the Lazerer Rifle 1.5 watt, and it is really something!

Here is Lazerer's page of the blue lasers they offer:
Blue Laser Pointer

Let us know if we can help you further!

I wish my woman was as accepting as you are with lasers :( she was upset I even wasted my money on one, can't imagine her actually purchasing one as a gift for me...thumbs up to you for being a great girlfriend!

Last edited:
Darlena,

Just to prepare you, costs will depend on the strength and color of the laser chosen. But there are many, many balloon-popping options, ranging in cost from $20 to $100. Other factors, such as battery choice and shipping times are worth considering, too.

Further, there is some risk in not getting what you paid for (eBay and China false advertising) and/or long shipping times from China. But, if you make inquiries here, prior to making your purchase, you have the best chance of success.

Oh, and keep in mind if you get something on the more powerful side (those near the $100 end of the spectrum) you will want to buy some safety goggles, too.

The following pair of safety glasses, from Amazon, are pretty popular.

Uvex S0360X Ultra-spec 2000 Safety Eyewear <$10

Last edited:

Arayan

I send you a private message :) please let me know if you're interested, but I can sell only if you are adult and if you have safety glasses!