Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser that claims to be <1mW class II has barely visible beam. Really possible for a class II laser?

So i got a laser from the web. Its a renkforce rf-lp-500. This is, like the most green laserpointers, a dpss laser. It claims to be a class II laser with max output power <1mW but when its really dark, like its night and you have no light on in your room, i can see the laserbeam. Its really hard to see. You have to focus on seeing the laserbeam. When your eyes get used to the darkness its a little bit easier to see the beam. The beam is really dim. is it really possible for a class II 1mW laserpointer to produce a visible beam with no fog, smoke or other aids?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
So i got a laser from the web. It’s a renkforce rf-lp-500. This is, like the most green laserpointers, a dpss laser. It claims to be a class II laser with max output power <1mW but when it’s really dark, like it’s night and you have no light on in your room, i can see the laserbeam. It’s really hard to see. You have to focus on seeing the laserbeam. When your eyes get used to the darkness it’s a little bit easier to see the beam. The beam is really dim. is it really possible for a class II 1mW laserpointer to produce a visible beam with no fog, smoke or other aids?
A 1mW laser would require a medium to scatter off. So based on the description I would say this is 4-6mW.

You may have particulates in the air that you just don't see. Especially if it's dark out.