Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser system enclosure

Greetings,

I'm looking for some ideas for smallish laser enclosures, to host home-built systems (such as the 1W 445 I am working on right now). The pic below is actually for a hard drive enclosure for $15 (its a Mapower MAP-AI32US), it has a cooling fan, and I thought if I knocked out the center on-off switch then it could do as the opening aperture for the laser (and without all the scratches of drilling a hole). The good thing about this one is that I don't think it has any brand name stamped on it, and it could have a few stickers on it to turn it into a laser system.

Could you post up any other ideas that could work. For example, my X-ACTO pencil sharpener could be a really nice looking laser head by just putting a label over the front pointing to the aperture!

Attachments

• Enclosure.jpg
    Enclosure.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 136

Here's the back. The air inlet is on the bottom. The panels are thick gauge aluminum.

Attachments

• Enclosure back.jpg
    Enclosure back.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
That's $15? From where? It's neat!

Amazon sells it - plus a few bucks shipping (not amazon prime).

I googleg a whole bunch of images of hard drive and mini computer enclosures, and found just a few that looked good. This one has a video review on Amazon so you can see more - no video review on the more expensive one with better raid support, only on the cheapo one but the construction is the same. Here's the link:

Amazon.com: Mapower MAP-AI32US 3.5" USB 2.0 Aluminum External Dual SATA RAID Hard Drives Enclosure - Fits Two 3.5" SATA Hard Drives (Silver): Electronics