Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser sights for defense.

If there was a strobe mode on this 50mW laser I got a while ago from tmart.com (definitely not a good buy if I was looking for a laser for burning, but decent for the price I payed) and I were to mount it on an AR, could I potentially use it to disorient an intruder?

The idea is similar to the idea of a strobe light, however that disorients everyone, including the shooter. A laser is more concentrated, but I have a lens from a disposable film camera (because a .5" diameter dot wouldn't be that useful in this situation)(I shocked myself with the capacitor while getting that, hurts a lot, obviously) that I use to disperse the laser and spread it over a greater area.

Playing to much BF3? :p laser sights are for acquiring targets not for defense. You could use optics and pulse a laser and yes it would be irritating to someone, but why? Your pointing a rifle at them, what the hell they going to do to you when your pointing a 5.56 in their face.

Playing to much BF3? :p laser sights are for acquiring targets not for defense. You could use optics and pulse a laser and yes it would be irritating to someone, but why? Your pointing a rifle at them, what the hell they going to do to you when your pointing a 5.56 in their face.

:Facepalm

1. I don't play video games.
2. Shooting someone is generally a last resort.
3. AR-15 vs <insert civilian legal firearm here> assuming it's almost completely dark. Lot's of stuff could happen.

5mw is what you have to work with, but yes it can be done, I cannot find a way to get the power i need and still make it safe, I have considered a very bright semi focused strobe light like an anti collision light from an aircraft. Using a green laser on a firearm you have to understand, the beam will not be at max brightness as soon as you turn it on, so would need a heater to be reliable on the first pulse. I estimate the you would need 200wm and that is not safe to have in someones eyes.

Use the search button, this has been discussed numerous times, the consensus is that it'll piss off the intruder and they'll shoot in the direction of the beam, possibly killing you. Not a good idea by any means, get a high powered flashlight, doubles as a blunt force weapon.

How about, ask someone to build a green pt-54 led light on a tactical flashlight host, mount it to your gun. If its dark, a very bright green light in your face is going destroy any trace of night vision. You can even get trigger switch for your tactical host. May not be what you want, but it think I may work. Any brighter and you daze yourself too.

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies... maybe I'll just shoot the intruder in the leg or something.

Request for lock/delete/<insert what is done with threads here when they are no longer needed.>

If you feel justified in shooting, you better shoot to kill. If you cann't handle that, then:
1) you are more likely to get it taken from you and used on you,
2) if you do shoot, obviously to wound rather than kill, you are likely to go to jail.
The law generally requires you to consider yourself, or those you are defending, in imminent danger of lethal harm to justify the use of deadly force. Warning and wounding are not acceptable uses of a firearm for defense.
3) if you shoot and wound someone you are open to civil suit,
4) if you shoot and kill an assailant, you may also be open to civil suit by his survivors, but at least you survive, and it is more likely to be judged justifiable as a defenseive.

I know what he needs, a giant Tesla Coil to sleep near under a Faraday Cage, then all the baddies cannot come near. :beer: I have never been robbed but once as a kid, I lived in a much better neighborhood then, and they cleaned us out, no one even woke up. :wtf: