Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser security system?

So I was thinking, and you know how you always see those high powered laser security systems that will cut your arm off in the movies? Well is that even possible at all to any degree? I don't know if this has already been posted but I was just curious if there is actually lasers as high powered as the ones seen in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NuDsRno8Gk

Ace82

;D

Perhaps with future blu-rays, but will we see that tech? I sure hope so! [smiley=evil.gif]

My 6x can burn the heck out you in a couple seconds at 40' away.

That was a funny clip by the way, I wish we had his view though. ;D

No, no, no. The movies are famous for trickery. The whole idea of movies is to suspend belief in order to ascend to realm of the movie.

No laser security system uses visible laser systems. Very few security systems use lasers as a means of intrusion prevention. Systems that do use lasers often use them in ways not even imagined by Hollywood.

Ace82

Awe Frothy, you had to spoil all the fun. ;D

yeah, lasers are stupid in that case, nothing like a good o' cheap motion detector and camera surveillance. But as far as the possibility of that existing, isn't too far off. Will it ever be used, most likely not.

Ace82 said:
Awe Frothy, you had to spoil all the fun.  ;D

yeah, lasers are stupid in that case, nothing like a good o' cheap motion detector and camera surveillance.  But as far as the possibility of that existing, isn't too far off.  Will it ever be used, most likely not.

Sorry man, I'm an absolutely brutal realist with a cynical streak a mile wide...the chicks dig it!

Ace82

Elyk456 said:
On a completely different, random topic that I was thinking of: Could you harvest diodes out of these, and if so would it even be powerful? http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/laserkerf.htm

I was in my bulding and construction class, and I saw one of these things, and couldn't help but wonder ::)

No.  Those are most likely 5-10mW used for line generating so you can easily see where the cut will end up.