Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Problem Question

Hi guys, I have run into quite a situation here and wondered if you guys can pitch in some information. Right now in my hand I have a Handheld laser unit that supposedly has a A140 diode in it. However, when I use it it seems that the light gets diffracted pretty badly. On first thought, I supposed that the lens were dirty and proceeded on checking the aixiz lens though it wasnt. However, when I look down to what would be the diode, it seems that the little cap that covers the diode head seems to be scratched. This cap is not present on my other laser, which was the 1.9W Maglite 2D purchased from JakeGT, supposedly having the A130 diode. I was wondering whether or not this tiny cap is removable from the diode itself somehow since I don't see it on my second laser?

Any Ideas Guys?

Thanks in advance.

daguin

Are you saying that the 130 diode you have is "open can"?

Both of these diodes (130 and 140) should look like this in the front (the diode, NOT the adapters) There should be a glass "wndow" inside the opening in the front

MIadaptor.jpg

If it looks like this
file.jpg

then someone has removed the can

If there is some foreign substance on the window, it can be cleaned (very gently)

If the window is dirty, cracked, or broken, it will cause problems with the beam.

If it is broken, you can really only try to remove the pieces or remove the can.

The can (cap?) is NOT supposed to be "removable."

It can be removes by cutting it off.

However, unless the person removing it has a diode can remover tool, the action can damage the diode

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Thanks alot, I guess thats exactly what I was looking at, except that I dont know what to call it :p

Anyhow, it looks like I'll have to disassemble the laser and cut it off, since it looks like the damage is done.