Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser polarity

Can you explain his 1st message? About polarity
Basically same what we already know, middle pin is your negative, and one of the outer ones is your positive.

You can try testing it with a DMM if you want (diode mode, or resistance mode), but I think you gonna get continuity from both.

Kufain

Basically same what we already know, middle pin is your negative, and one of the outer ones is your positive.

You can try testing it with a DMM if you want (diode mode, or resistance mode), but I think you gonna get continuity from both.
In the 1st photo left pin and middle = 53kOhm, right pin and middle 73kOhm.

Kufain

And with DMM's probes inverted?
with inverted probes left pin around 165 Ohm, and i can't really tell what is right, because at the momoent i have really simple MM which can only test 2 MOhm max, but i think its bigger.

That's probably your pin. Middle and "left" one as you described. Be mindful of the polarity.

Try powering the diode with a driver outputting 100mA. You should get red monochrome light out.

Kufain

That's probably your pin. Middle and "left" one as you described. Be mindful of the polarity.

Try powering the diode with a driver outputting 100mA. You should get red monochrome light out.
THANK YOU!!!!!:thanks:

i connect 2 AA bateries with resistor, which gave me 250 mA and it went pure red :) well it didnt work with 1 batery, dont know why, but with 2 it was cool. well the lazer isnt a dot, its some kind square shape. Im uploading a photo. Red arrow is pointed to some kind of lens, which i think is creating the square shape. The yellow line is the small airspace, so if I remove the lense will it go to dot or lazer focus will completely disappear?

Attachments

• DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
DO NOT power it like that anymore!

You NEED to construct a constant current supply, using any of the available options, most famous one being LM317 regulator and it's clones (LM1117 etc).

Batteries with resistor is a very bad idea! You can kill your diode like that!

And well, you're not going to get any normal focused dot when it's outside a common laser module, and since it's a square diode and does not fit in any module... Well, just leaving the lens on is fine. You can play with optics pieces like magnifying glass or perscription glasses and see what effects you get.

With magnifying glass it should be able to focus into small dot at limited distance and burn some stuff.