Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser pointing in Iraq

Neat footage of soldiers using a laser to direct fire onto an insurgents position. I am unsure if this is a visible green or an infrared laser being picked up with night vision cameras. whatever it is, it is very powerful as the beam is being directed over a very long distance.

Jase

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e3f_1193438830

T

timelord

That's a green laser being used Towel heads run for the hills when they see the green beam these days.
Green beams light up really well with the night vision goggles on :cool:

Timelord said:
That's a green laser being used Towel heads run for the hills when they see the green beam these days.
Green beams light up really well with the night vision goggles on :cool:

No that's not a green laser, it's an infrared laser. It's the night vision that's causing the beam to look green. Didn't you notice that the explosion are also green ?
here's another example click New Izlid Movie
http://www.bemeyers.com/products.asp?itemid=37&catid=2&subcat=8

T

timelord

You maybe right but I've personally used green when I served in Iraq...

H

High_Octane

I'm not too sure I would want to use green, If its beam is visible, they would pinpoint me! :eek:

T

timelord

Greens are used in full scale attacks when it's clearly obvious to the enemy where you are, unfortunately Mr Jihad get's flash blinded followed by a wave of tracer bullets and the odd RPG ;D ;D ;D

Benm

That beam is probably infrared, night vision gear is extremely sensitive to that usually, so it stands out very brightly.

Obviously, the one painting the targets is still giving away his position to any enemy with even the most crappy night vision gear... even a handycam with nightshot would probably suffice to locate him.

Timelord said:
Greens are used in full scale attacks when it's clearly obvious to the enemy where you are, unfortunately Mr Jihad get's flash blinded followed by a wave of tracer bullets and the odd RPG ;D ;D ;D

I suppose one could say that lasers, like tracers, work both ways.

T

timelord

They were not labeled these units and to be honest lasers were not a hobby then....

Benm

Somehow such technology will probably have its problems. If an enemy is able te record the pattern and reproduce it even with a IR led of suitable frequency, incoming missiles are easily diverted onto decoys.

But then again, laser painting of targets is a risky practice at all times - mirrors or retroreflectors become very powerful arms for the enemy ;)

It may sound far-fetched, but in yugoslavia microwave ovens were hacked to operate with the door open, in order to draw radar-seeking missiles... low tech warefare at its best?

Well, as a former tactical air controller (1C4), I'll tell you right now that the designator they were using is not in the visible range. The helo pilots are looking for a designator spot in their nods (night vision gear). It's probably something like a ANPEQ-1 portable YAG designator.

No soldier in his right mind will light up a target with a visible laser at night. Just like tracers, visible lasers work both ways. Maybe the straight legs do it but the unit I was with sure didn't. There weren't enough of us to deal with the extra attention it would draw.