Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Pointer vs. Weapons Laser

OFX

I am a member of a church security team and we had a situation where a laser was pointed at a staff member. This got me to thinking, is there a way to tell the difference between a pointer and a weapons laser?

Besides color; as most weapons lasers are red or green, is there a size or pattern difference. Anything at all that is visibly different, and easy to spot?

I am also looking for information that gives the sizes (diameter) for various beams based on color, power and distance. I am talking about distances less than 300 feet.

Thanks

There really isn't any definitive way to know for sure by just observing the dot. My feeling is "better safe than sorry", assume it is a threat until confirmed to be otherwise. Depending on your state there may also be laws against someone pointing a laser at a person or a vehicle.

You are correct that most sights use red or green, but there are also violet sights available.

The newest hobby laser is a high powered 445 blue diode, but these will produce a very noticeable line shape ( --- ) if projected more than maybe 50 feet, as opposed the round dot ( O ) from green or red.

You might try looking at the different manufacturers websites for find info about beam diameter at a given distance.
Laser Sight Grips for Guns | Crimson Trace
BEAMSHOT® Laser Sight,Green Laser Sight,Flashlight,Tactical Light,IR Laser Sight,Laser Aim,Laser Aiming Device,Laser Sighting System
LaserMax - Internal Laser Sights for Firearms
Gun Laser, Handgun lasers, Glock Laser Sight, Ruger Laser, Laser Sight, Viridian Green Laser Sights | Fits Glock, Springfield XD, Walther, Sig

Last edited:

JLSE

I would report any instance where a laser is pointed at you. Regardless if it is weapon
mounted or a handheld, the beam is of unknown power and can be very dangerous to
the eyes.

If a laser is shone into your eyes, as long as you or the person hit feels physical
pain, an assault charge may be warranted, depending on local laws..

File a complaint, and or call the cops regardless, and dont take any chances.
My advice would be, better safe than sorry.

:beer:

Actually, JSLE hit the nail on the head. Even a "toy" green laser bought on ebay can easily cause damage to vision.

Yeah, pretty much any laser could be mounted to a weapon. Weapon lasers are "usually" cheap red or green lasers, but they can come in any color or shape. I have never heard of a multimode weapons laser, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Probably >99/100 times, if a laser is pointed at you, its a pointer. It's always a good idea to get out of there though, because you never know. Better safe than sorry.

I agree with JLSE; treat is as a serious situation. Inform the police, and treat it as if it were a weapons laser.

On a side note... If someone does use a visible laser on their weapon, you should be thankful to them for giving away their own position instead of using real sights and shooting you :D

Last edited: