Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser pen idea

Another consideration would be in closing it up. I have one of the small ones, 6-8" long?
It's so tight when just "whipping" it open I have to smack the end on concrete or something pretty hard to close it.
Diodes don't like this type of treatment.

2x Li-Ion cells will have no problem.
Yes they will.

Talking about pen here, you are limited to maybe like 10440 cells. Drawing 600mA out of cheap DX ones is already pushing it.

And that's only like 20 minutes of ON cycle.

1W pen? Nope. Not visible, anyway.

1W 808nm would be doable.
They do use 1W pump diodes in Viper 160mW green pen series, right ?

Or at least something close. Well having greater quality manufacturing process they maybe are able to get higher efficiency...

In short, no you can't have 1W pen.

It's not heatsinking that's the problem. It's power source.
I am not aware of any 10440 size lithium polymer batteries.

Yes they will.

Talking about pen here, you are limited to maybe like 10440 cells. Drawing 600mA out of cheap DX ones is already pushing it.

And that's only like 20 minutes of ON cycle.

1W pen? Nope. Not visible, anyway.

1W 808nm would be doable.
They do use 1W pump diodes in Viper 160mW green pen series, right ?

Or at least something close. Well having greater quality manufacturing process they maybe are able to get higher efficiency...

In short, no you can't have 1W pen.

It's not heatsinking that's the problem. It's power source.
I am not aware of any 10440 size lithium polymer batteries.

well i know that this thing wont be as long as a regular pen and i was actually starting to think it would most likely have to be at least a foot long, at this point im just thinking how small of a diameter host u could actually get a working 1w laser to without it having to be like 5 seconds on and 5 minutes off, this would still be a pretty cool idea even if it was in a baton sized host, i really want to see how far i can push a home build laser in terms of compactness before it becomes physicly impossible to go any furter

Last edited:

oic0

Short and fat is much easier than long and skinny because of the available batteries. Maybe you could run two 10440 in parallel with the host being the only heatsink. If you make the whole thing from copper you could probably get a decent run time. Would be a custom thing though and changing the batteries would be a pain in the rear unless they had some type of holder.

Short and fat is much easier than long and skinny because of the available batteries. Maybe you could run two 10440 in parallel with the host being the only heatsink. If you make the whole thing from copper you could probably get a decent run time. Would be a custom thing though and changing the batteries would be a pain in the rear unless they had some type of holder.

yea i dont know how much it would cost to machine a chunk of copper into a custom host as well....

oic0

There are people on this forum who can probably do it. Probably eghemus. The prices for aluminum hosts are really great! surprisingly great!. I don't know if he can work with copper or how much it would affect the price.

There are people on this forum who can probably do it. Probably eghemus. The prices for aluminum hosts are really great! surprisingly great!. I don't know if he can work with copper or how much it would affect the price.

this seems like it might be an expensive undertaking and i would need to know what power laser i would be using first and learn more about what battery i should/would use (i know nothing about the different battery types) but once i get some more money i definitly want to look into this and see if its possible

oic0

eh, maybe $150-200 to put it together. Its not that bad.

eh, maybe $150-200 to put it together. Its not that bad.

that seems rather pricey....and it would have to have a tail cap that would unscrew my best friend's dad is a machinist im going to talk to him about it and see if he wouldn't be able to make me something like that in his spare time