Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser obstacle course?

Hey i was thinking about building a small laser obstacle course maybe 20 feet long and 10 feet wide. I've been doing some laser research but im not sure what equipment would be safe to use. I want the beam to be clearly visible but it seems most really visible lasers are a little dangerous. I was also going to use cheap mirror tiles you can buy in bulk but im not sure how dangerous a stray reflection could be or how much of the beam would be absorbed by the mirrors. Say i used a 5mw laser to stay safe, would it be visible and would it extend as far as i needed it to? also if i did use a more powerful laser, would that burn out the trip alarms that you can buy on the internet? thanks for your time

joeyss

You can use a 5mw green and a fogger to make fog so you can clearly see the beam. Just make sure you buy a laser that is really 5mw. I'm not sure where to get a green laser that's not more than 5 mw cheap. 90% of the cheap ones are overspec.

haha ya i saw that. i looked one of the ones i found up on here and it was actually like 80 mw! you think cheap tile mirrors will work? i dont see why they wouldnt work but idk how reflective a surface has to be to repeatedly reflect a clear beam

Helios

I would stay away from green as the power varies so much even within the same model. Reds will be the cheapest option.

What do you plan to do with this? Lasers dont make very good obstacles...since you can walk through them haha.

I would use any color you like just use only 5mW or close and if they won't reach the end just use more lasers.
You will want to buy front surface mirrors or you will get a double reflection off the mirror which cuts down power and distance, good luck ;)

try the Surplus Shed for the mirrors they have good deals on them

Last edited:

Helios

did you by chance watch the second episode of workaholics recently?

Doofus

I was recently playing laser tag (ha ha! lasers!) and the place we were at had a laser obstacle course, they seemed to use green with minimal fog. Seemed like each laser was around 10-20mw (eyeing) with some light fog, and they showed up clearly enough. I can find out what they use if you want.