Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Noob Help

I would like to say Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me out.

So I have been trying to do my homework about lasers and so far I have a verity of answers. Before I go on let me tell you what I'm looking for.

1) A laser I can use for general use at home/work to point at computer screens, white boards, chalk boards... exc without the need for safety glasses. (IE safe use on partial reflective surfaces)

2) A laser powerful enough for star pointing, outdoor use in low light conditions so the beam is visible, and camping use. (Normally around young adults IE my son and the Boy Scouts)

Yes I know some safety professionals eye wear no matter what power but lets be reasonable. I live in the USA and so far according to most posts/safety websites/ safety educational published research the max safe power to own is 5 mW. But I also know (being an engineer) that if the safety threshold is 100 we will slap a label on it saying the safety threshold is 5 to legally cover our butts.

Anyway. What power range should I be looking at. (Edit: I believe Green is what I should be looking at as well)

Edit:
I am also aware from posts on this website that the following companies have "True to spec" wattage

LaserBTB
Jetlasers
Dragon Lasers
Jetlaser's Sold by hakzaw1 (US SELLER)
Survival Lasers (US site)
Survival Lasers (International site)
Laser Glow
Optotronics
NOVAlasers

For my use where can i find a good quality pointer that will suit my needs at a good price? The prices online seem to be all over the place.

http://www.laserglow.com/GAN <--- Seems Reasonable

Last edited:

You should be able to do both with 5mw of green. Though you may benefit from more power for star pointing. Sadly you wont be able to use this same laser indors for white bosrds and such.

You should be able to do both with 5mw of green. Though you may benefit from more power for star pointing. Sadly you wont be able to use this same laser indors for white bosrds and such.

So 5 mW is a good threshold for Multiuse

I guess the next question is where i can get a good quality 5 mW Green for a good price? Are there any types/brands that stand out as solid and long lasting with a true 5mW output.

True 5mW will be the hard one on that. I would recommend Laser Glow Any green pointer you find on ebay could be 4mW or it could 84mW. Its a gamble and they are not IR filtered.

True 5mW will be the hard one on that. I would recommend Laser Glow Any green pointer you find on ebay could be 4mW or it could 84mW. Its a gamble and they are not IR filtered.

I found these:

Optotronics Product Details

Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers

The Optotronics one is a bit better price pointed and has the same specs according to the website. Also bother of these websites are on these forums as "good/honest" companies.

Recommendations?

Ive delt with both companies and they are both excelent. Its more of what you prefer.

I actually am very fond of the Wicked Lasers Core (Core Series - 5mW Green Laser Pointer | Wicked Lasers). I'm assuming you've heard of Wicked Lasers bad reputation but the Core has next to zero IR and is usually on spec within a mW. It is fairly pricey for the power though as you would expect from WL, but you may be able to find someone selling one on ebay for cheaper.

Thanks for the advice but I think ill stay away from WL until I hear more people happy with their product. For my first laser I just bought:

Anser Series 532 nm Green Laser Pointer URL: Laserglow Technologies - Handheld Lasers, Alignment Lasers and Lab / OEM Lasers

The website says 3 - 5 mW power, 90/20 duty cycle, IR filtered, and most everything I read says Laserglow is top notch. Hopefully I get somewhere between 4-5 mW (OF LIGHT) out of it and I don't get disinterested after my first buy due to quality. I kinda expect to see a dim beam in light and a good glow in darkness. We will see.

Thanks You

Edit:
It kinda disappointing the laser market seems really screwed up (to a new time buyer). People over spec their product, advertizing is misleading, and very few companies have good reviews on them. To me it looks that these companies are trying to take advantage of ignorance in a new market. Hopefully with education low quality high price companies will die off soon because right now (for a first time buyer) its hard to learn and shop with confidence it just seems like a gamble to me.

Any Thoughts?

Last edited: