Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Laser Marking Metal

How much power is needed to write on metal with a laser? Also whats an ideal wavelength for it?

I plan to affix a high power laser to a plotter to get a laser marking machine. I would like to know if this is even feasible.

A CO2 laser is best for marking metal. The material will naturally reflect light so you will need a laser with a really long wavelength like
CO2, plus you will also need a quite a few Watts of laser light to make any sort of impression in metal. Another good reason to use CO2.

Keep dreaming...

--Hydro15
Not what I call helpful, you know.

OP, powers to cut , weld and manipulate metal are usually in 10+W magnitude so that's CO2 gas laser for you.

To maybe etch or engrave metal , perhaps you can do it with ~5W of IR light tightly focused, but I am speculating right now.

Gunna cost you mega munays in any way.

I have a buddy that has a laser engraver and it has a 50w CO2 laser in it and the laser is made in the U.S. He said that it cost around $27,000 and is a Epilog, made in Golden Colorado. It has a 12" x 24" table and is very fast at what it does.

Last edited:
I know its reflective, but I wonder what the diode array from an A140, powered up and focused would do to metal... Thats 24 watts, could make it 36 pretty reliably. Not the ideal wavelength but at $1,000... I would darn sure look for a way to make it work. Maybe if the metal were adonized black?

Not what I call helpful, you know.

OP, powers to cut , weld and manipulate metal are usually in 10+W magnitude so that's CO2 gas laser for you.

To maybe etch or engrave metal , perhaps you can do it with ~5W of IR light tightly focused, but I am speculating right now.

Gunna cost you mega munays in any way.

Dont mind trolls.

The machinery handbook tells me I need between 5-10W on a CO2 laser, so your approximation is spot on. I'm surprised no one's tried anything like this before.

Aluminum shows adsorption at 1400 nm that's not too far from CO2 wavelength. I figured an GaAs/AlGaAs diode would be able to do it, but this would give me an excuse to make a CO2 laser. :whistle:

I'd like to put a laser marking machine together so the boys in the shop don't have to send these things out anymore.

Dont mind trolls.

The machinery handbook tells me I need between 5-10W on a CO2 laser, so your approximation is spot on. I'm surprised no one's tried anything like this before.

Aluminum shows adsorption at 1400 nm that's not too far from CO2 wavelength. I figured an GaAs/AlGaAs diode would be able to do it, but this would give me an excuse to make a CO2 laser. :whistle:

I'd like to put a laser marking machine together so the boys in the shop don't have to send these things out anymore.
Hehe, sure deal.

Well, it's great power anyway, I have seen on ebay some dichroic mirrors with which you can combine an 10.6 um (CO2) and 650nm (red) , for having an aiming laser for the thing. Not sure about long IR diodes.

So, having some extra safety precautions is always desired.

(That's one more excuse to make CO2 laser :) )

$1000 actually isn't a bad price for what it is.

It does look like a remarkable good deal.
A shame I have no use for it or t$me to play with co2 lasers right now.
If one wanted a backpack death-ray this would be a good source for parts. :D

It's 10,000nm away from co2 wavelength.

A CO2 laser operates at 10.6 um

10.6um = 10600 nm :oops: I missed a zero. But It also means a YAG laser would be much better suited for marking aluminum @ 1064 nm :gj:

A little more reading tells me a 5w Q-switched YAG laser can do it. Now to learn about Q-switching :D

I'd still go with that laser engraver. You'll be spending that much attempting to build one anyway. Yag lasers are not cheap.

Last edited:
A CO2 laser operates at 10.6 um

10.6um = 10600 nm :oops: I missed a zero. But It also means a YAG laser would be much better suited for marking aluminum @ 1064 nm :gj:

A little more reading tells me a 5w Q-switched YAG laser can do it. Now to learn about Q-switching :D
I believe aluminum is matte at 10.6um too.
Well basically, everything is, except ZnSe Mixture made for lenses.

I'd still go with that laser engraver. You'll be spending that much attempting to build one anyway. Yag lasers are not cheap.

It's all about the journey not the destination.

Its better to feed my hobby when I have good reasons to do so.

While I might not get it to work, I can def try. I have some more lucrative reasons for playing with lasers then most. So even if I fail I gain knowledge and experience.

Back