Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Line Feasibility - ( Zero Background in Laser Technology)

diachi

Welcome...

Why do you want to project this line? There may be a better way to achieve the same goal.

I assume by "daylight" you mean direct sunlight?

Define relatively visible?

Power? Lots.

Safety concerns? Depends on your application.

Lasers would be the most dangerous way to inform pedestrians that a truck is backing up in their midst. Most large vehicles already use a horn to alert people they are backing up. If you wanted to add something visual to this, how about a sign that lights up and blinks?

Might be something he can market anyway, but to produce a line bright enough to be seen well in the daylight would take a lot of power, unless a servo motor were used to sweep a collimated laser spot across the ground back and forth to cause it to appear to be a line, even then, a fair amount of power to be visible in the day time hours. I think it would be better to use a highly collimated high power LED instead, sweeping its spot across the ground to make a line. Maybe that wouldn't be bright enough either, due to the way light from a source like that is difficult to collimate into a tight enough spot. Do some tests with a high power flashlight and see.

I believe you might be up against and rock and a hard spot with the laser idea, if powerful enough to see as either a line or a spot which sweeps across the ground in direct daylight, then too powerful to be safe for such use. Sure, if it is pointed down who is going to get hit with it? Someone who trips and falls, animals, or if the assembly is damaged or comes loose etc.

That said, don't listen to nay sayers like me, check it out for yourself and see if these are going to be issues or not.

Last edited:
I've seen trucks with 4 white LED lights and 4 red LEDs, and with the horn you can't miss it. I would go with LEDs as stated above a laser would have to be way too powerful to be safe. A large array of white LEDs would be just as visible as a Laser. Say ten 1500 lumen lights focused 10 feet behind the vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
Ed

My project deals with saftey in backing up large industrial equipment and creating a visual alert for distracted pedestrians. i attached a concept visualization I have made.

I've two questions. Why lines?
What could a laser producing lines accomplish that high brightness green leds could not?
Using your laser concept the wavelength that would serve best would be green at 520nm.

He just wants to make a cool boundary, I think... but could be done the way you mentioned, if bright enough. Question is, how much would it cost to make this and can it sell.

Edit: I always do this, he probably wants to use red as a danger zone indication.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Most trucks now have audio alerts anyway. And if you don't see or hear a huge truck reversing towards you, then well you probably wouldn't notice the laser lines IMO.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but congratulations on being 4 points away for 10,000 on your reputation shown on your avatar. :yh:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
paul1598419 said:
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but congratulations on being 4 points away for 10,000 on your reputation shown on your avatar.
Alaskan is not quite yet Paul, but if I have my way he will be. ;) 304 points to go!

Last edited:
Jesss, it's time to get a new pair of glasses. I had to look very closely this time to see my error. Sorry, Chris.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Ha, you just saw the 6 as a 9! :p He will at the 10K mark in no time. :)

Seeing everyones comments I think going this route into researching high powered illumination would be a good alternative.

Could you give me an example of what you mean with the 4 white and red LED lights you have seen? is this referring to something like a tail light or something different?

Just out curiosity. How much money do you have for research and development? I'm not asking for an exact amount.