Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser intensity question

Liquidator

This is the power of the laser I use:
User Maintenance. No user maintenance of the laser system other than cleaning of the scan windows is required. • Radiant Energy. The scanner is an IEC Class 1 and CDRH IIa laser product. The system uses two embedded Class 3A Visible Laser Diodes (VLDs) operating at 650.0 nm, in an opto-mechanical scanner, resulting in less than 3.1μW radiated power as observed through a 7mm aperture averaged over 10 seconds. Maximum emitted output power at the lower (sealed) window is 880μW, pulse duration is 89 μS. No attempt should be made by the user to remove the protective housing of the scanner/scale. • Laser Light Viewing. The horizontal and vertical scan windows are the only apertures through which laser light may be observed in this product

Is this laser intensity dangerous to the eyes when the beam hits the eye?
I would love to explain about laser power mw

OrangeDragon

I am not qualified to answer this question, however I will provide my opinion: Given that the rating includes exposure average for the equivlent of the human eye's aperture of 3.1μW (or 0.0031mW) over 10 seconds at a 650nm wavelength - I would expect absolutely zero harm from exposure.

Even the full output power, which equates to 0.88mW, is less than a weak laser pointer - except in this case it's pulsed (so cumulative exposure is even less)

Liquidator

All you need to know about laser classifications:

https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/laserclasses.html

Class 3A=3R on that chart.

For some reason, the device has a Class 1 laser
And in the booklet I cited listed is Grade 3A
Does it make sense that the Class 1 laser is 0.0031mw?
And what I understand is not dangerous to the eyes when the horn hits them as long as the blinking reflex of the eye is normal.
But if there is a chance it could damage the retina?

OrangeDragon

I believe that the device as a whole is a Class 1 laser which means that in normal operation it is a fully enclosed emitter and there is no hazard to anyone outside. Usually the device also has to have a built-in interlock to disable the laser if opened.

While the device is Class 1, the internal laser itself can be rated differently.

Are you planning to open/modify the device or otherwise operate it outside of it's intended use?

Liquidator

I believe that the device as a whole is a Class 1 laser which means that in normal operation it is a fully enclosed emitter and there is no hazard to anyone outside. Usually the device also has to have a built-in interlock to disable the laser if opened.

While the device is Class 1, the internal laser itself can be rated differently.

Are you planning to open/modify the device or otherwise operate it outside of it's intended use?
Not but if it is dangerous to the eyes and can damage the retina?
When sometimes the foundation hits the eyes?
And can class 3A damage the retina or is it not dangerous to the eyes?