Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Injury 532nm 400mW / Kaleidoscope Attachment Affect Power?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
No this guy is a fully ignorant buffoon and I wasn't going to appeal to any reason of his because he has none. I chewed him out and he acted as if I was overreacting.

Do you have any quantifiable info/ experience with how power falls off from the center? Even an estimation in order of magnitude?

Thanks
Ok that's enough now. You're ignoring the answers given to you. Very informative answers I might add. Move on. And stop pming me saying the same crap over and over. ffs

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It will be very difficult to work this out. Not only is the diffraction pattern on both the X and Y axes. You have multiple gratings splitting the beam further.

You don’t need to know what the exact power of each dot is. You can’t even say for certain what region of the pattern you would of been hit by. All you need to know is a 400mW laser with a double grating is likely to have some spots with a power exceeding class 3r ratings.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
He wants an idea of what he got hit with to relax his mind. If someone were to say he will be fine it was only about (a guesstimate power) then that person can be liable for giving false information on his condition. He's not understanding it and if he doesn't stop pming me and doesn't stop asking the same thing over and over again he's gonna be looking elsewhere soon.
I don't want anyone to get into trouble

julianthedragon

Ok that's enough now. You're ignoring the answers given to you. Very informative answers I might add. Move on. And stop pming me saying the same crap over and over. ffs
Not against what you're saying here but in case it was missed he was calling his coworker a fully ignorant buffoon, no one here

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It will be very difficult to work this out. Not only is the diffraction pattern on both the X and Y axes. You have multiple gratings splitting the beam further.

You don’t need to know what the exact power of each dot is. You can’t even say for certain what region of the pattern you would of been hit by. All you need to know is a 400mW laser with a double grating is likely to have some spots with a power exceeding class 3r ratings.
I’ve given my final say on this here. Now I’m getting some shut eye.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Not against what you're saying here but in case it was missed he was calling his coworker a fully ignorant buffoon, no one here
Well he could call his mother a cheap hooker on the corner ... what does that have to do with anything?

FSainzo9595

Ah ok I see, thank you for your response

Hi Community,

I'm very thrilled to have found this forum as I've been unsuccessfully searching for some answers. If you have a moment I'd be so so appreciative of some feedback, thanks for your time.

For anybody interested the whole story is below, but my main ask is: Does a Kaleidoscope attachment on a laser attenuate the power of each point on the output?
For example: if the attachment on a 400mW laser produced a 10x10 grid, is each point 4mW? (See attached images)

In short: I was hit in the eye by a 400mW 532nm laser at 5-10ft distance. This happened days after NYE when my clown co-worker brought in said laser. I was too busy reading a paper in my hand to notice the grid in front of me and turned right into him firing the laser, it caught my right eye and I winced but not before looking right into it. The caveat is that the laser had a Kaleidoscope attachment and was emitting a patterned matrix so I was only hit by a single element of this. Was my eye subjected to less than 400mW? I can't find any information on this type of scenario.

I didn't think anything of it initially and never imagined him bringing that kind of laser into our place of work. I began noticing some mild visual disturbances in the form of Metamorphopsia/center vision issues which is why I'm investigating. I conveniently went to an Ophthalmologists last summer and just had a full work up post incident. The optical coherence tomography (OCT) and retinal fundus are identical to before the injury and the Dr. assured me there was no indication of retinal injury

Sorry for the novel and if you have any insight to offer I'd be very grateful. I'm hoping that once I understand just how much power my eye was subjected to I can reconcile this and move on. Thanks again for your time/input.
61Nig6AcooL._AC_UL115_.jpg

>>>Warning<<<

"If you think you need medical help or attention for an eye injury or any other medical problem, you probably do."
"If you have been hit in the eye with a laser and feel you have suffered any type of eye injury as the result of an accident with a laser that may need medical opinion or treatment, go to a hospital Emergency Room and/or consult a qualified Board Certified MD Ophthalmologist ASAP.

LPF is a laser hobbyist website, not physicians, and cannot give any medical or legal advice.
No professional medical or legal advice is available or possible on LPF"

For additional information see laserpointersafety.com here:
Laser Pointer Safety - What to do if you are hit by a laser pointer or laser pen