Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser idea...

I am a ranch manager of a fairly high end show horse ranch and we have an issue with a number of varmints, primarily rabbits and gophers destroying things and such. Shooting a gun (IE a 22 cal) is not all that good of an idea around this place due to the report of the weapon spooking some of the horses. ((This is rather silly when you consider I have horses of my own I can shoot off of, but customers pamper their show horses)). At any rate, I had the idea of possibly having a small laser type of weapon that could reach out to say...100-150 feet to possibly "end" the varmints life with a simple head shot. No sound or anything, just a nice quiet beam of light and no more pest. I am not familiar with this at all, not familiar with the needed power, estimated costs, hurdles I would have to jump to construct such a thing, nor if this is even legal. If it does have legality issues, please tell me as such and I will drop this idea immediatly, and I certainly mean no harm. I ask all of this in complete ernest, and ignorance of this topic. Can anyone please give me some answers to this idea as such please? I am aware i would need a small scope /targeting laser that would be harmless to aim with, and then turn on the "business part" of this idea. Please forgive my ignorance.

Well......i'm sure it's possible, but the amount of power you would need to simply kill it with a quick beamshot would be the kind only found on military humvees and the boeing airplane laser. which cost outrageous amounts.

I'm sure you could create a portable system that would blind the animal.....but this wouldn't be very effective, and you'd probably catch a lot of hell if the right people found out....

I don't think you'd be able to instantly kill any animal with a laser, Though with the huge chemical lasers mentioned above you may be able to damage it enough it would eventually die....probably from massive burns?

can't you just use cb shorts? they are just as quiet at a bb gun....and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:

mkdive

tax stamp+classIIIFFL= suppressed .22 (wet suppressor not a dry one)....22LR using subsonic rds.

legit, legal, quiet, done.

Def. not going to work, you could scare or blind the animals but def. not kill them, also the beam off the laser might spook the horses more then the gun. I know my dog is very disturbed when shinning a blue laser around.

BTW if you wanted the boeing laser you will need a nuclear reactor to power the thing! You can see a very powerful laser in my sig.. (bottom of the post, laser technology thread!!)

-Adrian

I apprecaite your kind and informative responses. As i had said, I am rather ignorant on this topic...IE not well learned. I have a few reasons for not wanting to use a gun, silnced or not. Those being the before mentioned noise, and also, the sorry ass lay out of the barns and paddocks lends itself to a stray round hitting an animal. Poison is more practical, other than I dont want the other dogs to eat the dead poisoned carcasses for obvious reasons. Again, I appreciate your responses...that nuke reactor...they make that in a shoulder mount? LOL

Think so.. but you will need to upgrade to portable fission reactor back pack... kinda annoying, since it reaches about 45,000 degrees and leaves small burn marks on your t-shirts. Maybe you should look into getting ur self a RPG, heard they are selling pretty cheap now days. Have fun.

You could perhaps set out capture traps... (you could then dispose of the
enemy in your own way)..:whistle:
Over time that may eradicate them..

Jerry

Last edited:
would this work for them varmints?

YouTube - M65 Recoiless Nuclear Rifle

Might make things a lil warm tho.....LOL

Meh should do the job nicely... if not let me know, my next door neighbor is part of the Taliban, I'm sure they can get me a few A-Bombs (they were testing them out the back a few days ago), if they ran out of stock ill ask him for the nuclear warhead they stole from the white house during the 4th of July, when bush was setting off some fireworks. Im sure that will fix the problem...

Peace all -Adrian

Lasers are useful for many things. Killing gophers is not one of them.

Small lasers have not yet come anywhere close to the multi-kilowatt power and narrow, well collimated beam that you would need. You might be better off to try live traps so you don't harm your dogs or other pets, when you get a pest in the live trap, take the trap into an empty barn, or the maintenance barn, and .22 short or CB cap will solve the problem up close with no risk of hitting or scaring a horse.