Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Laser Hitting Planes - Discussion

but dude did u actually see the lasers they had on that video??

we are talking about some kids with handheld portable regular lasers!!

Razako

SMIDSY said:
I disagree- the problem is not with in flight but during take off and landing. This is when there is the mot danger during a flight and the pilots need to be concentrating the most.

A green laser pointed at an aircraft during landing would be bad news.

I attach a relevant video. Its a long range shot so the distance is further than potentially during landing and take off, the plane is a single engine and whilst it is slower than a 747 it is quicker and higher than a 747 would be during landing:

I am willing to show that under these circumstances, the danger of shining a laser at a plane is:
Those guys had a huge computer guided military laser. We are talking about your average hand held lasers.

Razako said:
[quote author=SMIDSY link=1209868110/15#15 date=1209925940]I disagree- the problem is not with in flight but during take off and landing. This is when there is the mot danger during a flight and the pilots need to be concentrating the most.

A green laser pointed at an aircraft during landing would be bad news.

I attach a relevant video. Its a long range shot so the distance is further than potentially during landing and take off, the plane is a single engine and whilst it is slower than a 747 it is quicker and higher than a 747 would be during landing:

I am willing to show that under these circumstances, the danger of shining a laser at a plane is:
Those guys had a huge computer guided military laser. We are talking about your average hand held lasers.[/quote]

I accept your point but that was really quite far away.

Worst case scenario is the plane is landing and there is some kid with a 100mW green laser. Now if this were a WL then they woudl be safe but its not its a DX laser (much more reliable).

That guy could be easily <1000ft from the cockpit. Now whilst it may not blind the pilot it would probably cause moderate-sever flash blindness and distraction. Coupled with the surprise I would not want to be on that plane.

How powerful do we reckon that laser in the vid was? 500mW? I mean over a smaller distance my money is still on the guy with the pointer not the pilot.

i still think it'd be traceable and news is just getting ridiculous with this.

500mw? 500mw or even more....those were BIG lasers, electronically/auto-guided lasers!

even at 1000feet, the landing lane is just TOO long for a kid to step right outside it, there should be security guards all around an airport (which there ARE, because they are AIRPORTS)..

nikokapo said:
i still think it'd be traceable and news is just getting ridiculous with this.

500mw? 500mw or even more....those were BIG lasers, electronically/auto-guided lasers!

even at 1000feet, the landing lane is just TOO long for a kid to step right outside it, there should be security guards all around an airport (which there ARE, because they are AIRPORTS)..
I agree, it SHOULD be traceable so the fault is partly with the police etc.

The laser was NOT guided there just was a guy pointing it at the plane.

and it isnt difficult to get within 1000 feet of a plane during take off/ landing. you could probably get away with carrying on into an airport. but even from outside airports its still possible to land a decent hit... or at small airports etc...

I agree though it is unlikely BUT it COULD happen if all the circumstances are right.

but that "could happen" isnt the 100% kids they have caught doing so...there were a lot of cases...maybe they're just invented ones..

nikokapo said:
but that "could happen" isnt the 100% kids they have caught doing so...there were a lot of cases...maybe they're just invented ones..
Its simple. Yes they may have over hyped this BUT anyone who points a reasonably high powered laser at a plane is an idiot who should be arrested. Im sure we can all agree on that. its a stupid thing to do anyway and is potentially dangerous.

Why woudl you want to point at planes anyway?

SMIDSY said:
[quote author=nikokapo link=1209868110/15#21 date=1209941287]but that "could happen" isnt the 100% kids they have caught doing so...there were a lot of cases...maybe they're just invented ones..
Its simple. Yes they may have over hyped this BUT anyone who points a reasonably high powered laser at a plane is an idiot who should be arrested. Im sure we can all agree on that. its a stupid thing to do anyway and is potentially dangerous.

Why woudl you want to point at planes anyway?[/quote]

true, they should be slapped in the face with a pinneapple.

why point it to a plane? because the feeling of "touching" something in movement that is really FAR away from your reach is very tempting..

nikokapo said:
[quote author=SMIDSY link=1209868110/15#22 date=1209976713][quote author=nikokapo link=1209868110/15#21 date=1209941287]but that "could happen" isnt the 100% kids they have caught doing so...there were a lot of cases...maybe they're just invented ones..

Why woudl you want to point at planes anyway?[/quote]

true, they should be slapped in the face with a pinneapple.

why point it to a plane? because the feeling of "touching" something in movement that is really FAR away from your reach is very tempting..[/quote]

true true pineapple....

erm or more likely "lets go point at the plane cos its cool and maybe the peoples inside will see it yeah woooooo!!!!11one!eleven"

Razako

SMIDSY said:
Why would you want to point at planes anyway?
Isn't it obvious? The ability to hit a plane miles away with a green beam of light and freak out all of the passengers/pilot is probably what people are attracted to.