Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser help

Cxrazy

Hey guys,

I want a quality laser from a reputable site that has enough power to burn/slash/pop/lite etcetera.

:) My budget is around $150. What should I do?

I'm sure you laser-guru's can help. :)

nes_ds

Well with that kind of budget you can get a 75mW CNI from www.StarPhaser.com, a 65mW CNI from www.novalasers.com, or a 55mW with goggles from www.wickedlasers.com

Starphaser would be my personal pick, but for burning your will defiantly need eye protection, which starphaser doesn't supply. All of Wickedlasers' modules come with eye protection, which is a major plus, though I'm unsure how much NOVA sells eye protection for.

Keep in mind if you want to pop a balloon or cut electrical tape, a 35mW-55mW would work fine, but if you want to light a match, your going to need to get at least 75mW.

Sniper

ya i think the cheapest burners are probably from starphaser.com right now.

nes_ds

I did a search on those Shades you recommended, they look pretty thin, I'm not sure what the optical density would be for 532nm, so be careful.

S

SenKat

AJ_Dual said:
If you go to Amazon.com and search on "DeWalt laser glasses" you can get red goggles that will do a very good job of filtering out 532nm green laser light for only $12.84. (Amazon affiliates have them cheaper, at under $10, but with shipping, it's more as long as you order $25 or more from Amazon for the free shipping...)

And they look halfway decent too...  :cool:

They're actualy made for ENHANCING red laser light as used in laser levels and laser marking construction tools, so only use them for filtering visible green. They'll do nothing to protect you from high-powered reds, and what they'll do for Blu-Ray and IR lasers (Or IR leakage from a lousy green laser) is unknown, so assume it offers no protection.

PLEASE see the other threads where these goggles have been discussedto death - they do not block out 532nm light - they dialate your pupils, and are dangerous to use. If you cannot spend the $49.00 or so for good, quality goggles, do not buy a high powered laser, period. I am all for trying to save a buck - but those are designed to enhance the red beam or dot, not to block the green - do some research if you want - but you will damage your eyes if you insist on skimping on protective eyewear - I really dislike the fact that dewalt even sells those - and that someone thought they would be a good idea, because they are not a good idea.

I would watch out for both starphaser and DL. Both are either selling untested lasers, or knowingly sending out underspec lasers.

Geeee Whizzz -- My DL95 has always outed over 110 mW. Just keep feeding it e2 cells !!

Mike

My pick would be with Nova, Starphaser isn't established enough for me, but Nova will give you a laser higher spec than what you payed for. I have a nova X105 and I love it.

Sniper

well i guess i meant that Starphaser should be the cheapest, if their lasers are actually 125mw, ect. which theyre probably not. I really like NOVA lasers though.

S

SenKat

Yeah, since it is a Wicked endeavor - you can imagine you will have to RMA multiple times to get an in-spec laser....I would suggest staying away from Starphaser, esp since Wicked had once stated that ALL CNI lasers were crap, and that is why they moved on to "making" their own line....