Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Glove

Ablaze

I don't want to thread hijack, but yes, Infinitus. The lab in China that assembles them for me will tune them to any power that I request and these are tuned to 5mW, IR filtered. The IR filter makes a huge difference for low powered green modules (it more than doubles the apparent brightness).

I'm not buying my lasers off of ebay, I am buying modules that are made specifically for this purpose, so there is no reason for anyone to lie in this case. Plus, the one laser that I did have tested by a 3rd party was exactly the power they said it would be. I am 99.8% sure that these 5mW modules are truly 5mW.

I don't want to thread hijack, but yes, Infinitus. The lab in China that assembles them for me will tune them to any power that I request and these are tuned to 5mW, IR filtered. The IR filter makes a huge difference for low powered green modules (it more than doubles the apparent brightness).

I'm not buying my lasers off of ebay, I am buying modules that are made specifically for this purpose, so there is no reason for anyone to lie in this case. Plus, the one laser that I did have tested by a 3rd party was exactly the power they said it would be. I am 99.8% sure that these 5mW modules are truly 5mW.

Just curious. I'm very glad they are tested/made to be 5mW.

I was thinking of either making, or buying a pair myself, for halloween, but don't trust the chinese versions to be 5mW... hence the question.

The IR filter shouldn't make ANY difference at all with regards to brightness though. If anything, since no filter is perfect, a green laser without an IR filter should appear brighter.

Edit: 450605 sorry for the minor threadjack :eek:

Last edited:

Ablaze

Well, as I understand it, an unfiltered low powered green produces over 60% of it's light output in IR. The LPMs test the total light energy outputted (green + IR), so when you drop the IR output to around 3% rather then 60% by filtering, and then tune the laser to 5mW that is something like 4.9mW of green light and perhaps .1mw of IR. Without the filter it would be something like 3mW of invisible IR and 2mW of green. So the IR filter more than doubles the visibility without increasing the burning power of the laser at all.

The 5mW IR filtered modules actually draw a bit more power then the 10mW non-IR filtered modules I bought a year ago. They are tuned higher, but most of the invisible light that has no purpose except to cause potential eye damage is being absorbed by a tiny scrap of plastic before ever exiting the laser.

Last edited:
Well, as I understand it, an unfiltered low powered green produces over 60% of it's light output in IR. The LPMs test the total light energy outputted (green + IR), so when you drop the IR output to around 3% rather then 60% by filtering, and then tune the laser to 5mW that is something like 4.9mW of green light and perhaps .1mw of IR. Without the filter it would be something like 3mW of invisible IR and 2mW of green. So the IR filter more than doubles the visibility without increasing the burning power of the laser at all.

The 5mW IR filtered modules actually draw a bit more power then the 10mW non-IR filtered modules I bought a year ago. They are tuned higher, but most of the invisible light that has no purpose except to cause potential eye damage is being absorbed by a tiny scrap of plastic before ever exiting the laser.

60% is kind of a lot. Most green lasers I LPMed are in the 10-35% IR content range, some less, but I have not seen over 50% yet, maybe I've been lucky.

Your understanding is just a little bit off though. The IR filter just blocks off IR light, it does not in any way increase, or decrease the amount of green light passing through, except to maybe also filter out a small percentage of the green.

Regardless though, I'm glad your modules are 5mW, IR filtered :)

Ablaze

60% is kind of a lot. Most green lasers I LPMed are in the 10-35% IR content range, some less, but I have not seen over 50% yet, maybe I've been lucky.

Your understanding is just a little bit off though. The IR filter just blocks off IR light, it does not in any way increase, or decrease the amount of green light passing through, except to maybe also filter out a small percentage of the green.

It's almost like you didn't even read my explanation. I have a 5mw filtered module and a 10mW unfiltered module here. When you put them side by side the 5mW appears brighter. The 5mW is brighter, I don't have an LPM but I have a voltmeter and the 5mW IR filtered module draws more power, ie it's tuned to higher output.

facepalm.gif

I read your explanation. Get yourself an LPM, or get those modules LPMed independently than feel free to imitate this smiley after - :banghead:

Last edited:

Ablaze

facepalm.gif

I read your explanation. Get yourself an LPM, or get those modules LPMed independently than feel free to imitate this smiley after - :banghead:

I think that emoticon is appropriate, since if you had read my explanation you would know that an LPM should read the same 5mW whether the laser has an IR filter or not (assuming it has been properly tuned). However, the IR filtered laser will appear brighter.

Burning power, in this case, is just an unwelcome side effect.

Did you actually read what you wrote before, and what I wrote before, of just jump into righteous indignation mode?

Review the highlighted text:

It doesn't... because you were not looking at 5mW of green before....

The IR filter shouldn't make ANY difference at all with regards to brightness though. If anything, since no filter is perfect, a green laser without an IR filter should appear brighter.

The IR filter just blocks off IR light, it does not in any way increase, or decrease the amount of green light passing through, except to maybe also filter out a small percentage of the green.

I think that emoticon is appropriate, since if you had read my explanation you would know that an LPM should read the same 5mW whether the laser has an IR filter or not (assuming it has been properly tuned). However, the IR filtered laser will appear brighter.

Burning power, in this case, is just an unwelcome side effect.

A 5mW green laser is by definition 5mW of 532nm light. Having an IR filter installed, and then output adjusted to produce a remaining 5mW of power... you get a 5mW green laser.

Ablaze

No, by definition 5mW is a measurement of the total light energy that the laser produces. Therefore, by definition it is not only the 532nm light, it is all light that that comes out of the front of the laser. It is a measurement of how much the laser beam will heat up an object if that object manages to absorb all of the laser light.

Look, I've tried politely telling you that you are wrong, but you just don't seem to get it. I have the proof right here. I've gone over the principal, I really don't see why you can't seem to understand.

Go reread the text highlighted in red, and green respectively.

Actually read what you wrote, and the part I took issue with.

An IR filter does not double brightness. It only blocks IR light, which is not visible to begin with.

Ablaze

Meh. Your lack of ability to understand really makes no difference. Have a blissful life.

Are those 2 rings kinekt gear rings?

Kinekt Design

Note: Ablaze you are so very wrong in your tiff with Infinitus, nice "glove" though.

Last edited: