Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser glasses

Tassie

Having just bought a 450nm 1mw output blue laser i looked in ebay for a pair of protective glasses and bought the first pair of red glasses for $8 dollars i came across,now i'm wondering if these cheap glasses are OK or do i need to buy a specific pair for this laser?

Thanks for any replies... Cheers Tassie

GSS

Having just bought a 450nm 1mw output blue laser i looked in ebay for a pair of protective glasses and bought the first pair of red glasses for $8 dollars i came across,now i'm wondering if these cheap glasses are OK or do i need to buy a specific pair for this laser?

A link to the laser you purchased would be helpful. At 1mw that you claim glasses wouldn't be a necessity. It way below the danger done of a blink reflex. Now this is for a true 1mw and if by chance its a cheap ebay pen claiming it to be a 450nm it could be a 405nm that has a good chance of being overspec and dangerous. For members to be helpful you really need to give some more info on this laser. Yes red glasses do generally cover from 405nm to 540nm even. Even though if this laser is a true 1mw and glasses not being such a need its good to know that you thought of purchasing glasses, cheap ones or not:)

GSS

Yes with that laser you do need glasses! It is labeled as a 1mw but it more like 1000mw as it even shows it being metered at over 1W. Glasses are a must for any type of burning, ciggarette lighting, matches etc. You can look at the beam from the sides but any indoor use including the dot on the wall will be very very hard on the eyes. You have no mention of other lasers you might own but generaly anything over 20mw can get taxing on the eyes by looking at a dot from a laser around that wavelength. The glasses I assume you have are in the better than nothing catagory especially if you bought the ones I saw in the same link. What your plans for this laser is I dont know but yes I would recommend a upgrade on those glasses.

Last edited:
Yes with that laser you do need glasses! It is labeled as a 1mw but it more like 1000mw as it even shows it being metered at over 1W. Glasses are a must for any type of burning, ciggarette lighting, matches etc. You can look at the beam from the sides but any indoor use including the dot on the wall will be very very hard on the eyes. You have no mention of other lasers you might own but generaly anything over 20mw can get taxing on the eyes by looking at a dot from a laser around that wavelength. The glasses I assume you have are in the better than nothing catagory especially if you bought the ones I saw in the same link. What your plans for this laser is I dont know but yes I would recommend a upgrade on those glasses.

Lol, yes. GSS is right! As soon as I saw that thing there's no way it would be 1mW :yh:

-Alex

add your location to your profile please? where are you from?

welcome to the forum.:)

by the look of it you're an Australian....

we have several Australian member here...

If you're ever interest in a high power laser i'll build one for ya since i'm from Australia as well...

survival laser, but if you "cant afford" the glasses, try uvex on amazon