Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser from a Laser Printer

matt09

Hey all,

Was given this printer recently http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/50670/s_level/31150/s_product/HL2030ZU1

Anyone have any idea what sort of laser I've got?
The box indicates it's a class 3b and gives a warning of invisible laser radiation so it is likely to be an infrared?
If so it doesn't look like there's much fun to be had.. as I don't fancy playing with a beam I can't see too much.

Pic below.

Attachments

• CIMG4726.JPG
    CIMG4726.JPG
    278.7 KB · Views: 341

weird theres no heatsinking well thatll make it easyer to harvest good luck (hopefully not a ir diode).

Not sure, take it out and test it!

If your going to use the printer(that is, printing with it) then don't.

As long as you can find a way to drive it, there should be a rotating mirror on a motor in there that is a good start on a liquid sky effect.

Regards rog8811

Test it with some kind of driver.

BUUT, KIPKAY(the minimag guy) would have told you to test it with 2 AA batteries. :-?

Which you should never do. :cool:

matt09

Dam i didn't think of that, I've ripped all that out now as yes there was a motor with a rotating mirror, i might have to put that all back together...

Also the printer is scrap so no worries there.

Is there anyway to determine the max power ie therefore the max current that can be put into it or is it a case of when the beam starts to distort slightly turn it down a fair bit from there.

Class 3B laser product

5mw

770-810 nm

I just found the PDF for that model.

Thats ashame too. I thought it would be a 400 mw red and then the whole laserpointerforums would start harvesting diodes from laser printers! :eek:

But I guess not.  

roSSco

sad2.gif

the spinning mirror needs some phase-shifted AC afaik, so it's a pain in the rectum to get that to work
Although I once dissected a printer and the hexagonal wheel's axle fit perfectly onto a Lego motor's axle :)

Yup, the diodes are around 5..6mW, but there is a whole lot og neat other stuff in there, like a stepper, high-voltage sources, reeeally nice mirrors, fans, caps and the like.

matt09

Yeah, like the 750 watt heating element in there which i'm using to heat the place!