Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser for self defence- info required

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivalistdan

I am new to lasers but i am convinced they could be used to great effect for self defence purposes. Although causing some eye damage to a potential attacker is justified imo i would rather cause a dazzling effect with disorientation only. I am looking to hear your thoughts and experiences with lasers for this purpose. My research is leading me towards a green laser (best interaction with human eye to my understanding) and i am leaning towards a power of 30-100 mw. I would also be looking for a laser where beam can be broadened to increase surface area for ease of hitting eyes of attacker (alternatively perhaps an attachment would work just as well....like a star pattern attachment? Has anyone accidently taken a laser to the eye or know anyone that has so that they describe the effect and viability of using a laser for self defence purposes? I read that the GLARE dazzlers are being used by law enforcement in the US now so there must be something to this. I read they use 200 mw green. Many thanks in advanced.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
We don't condone such uses for lasers. You're the kind of person that puts our hobby at risk for more restrictive laws because you actually think it's justified to cause permanent eye damage to someone.
If you're so concerned about defending yourself I suggest taking self defense classes and the use of dozens of other self defense tools such as mace, tasers and other various devices.
If you insist on getting a laser for this purpose then anyone who provides information in this thread or anywhere else specifically for this purpose will be dealt with severely.
"The Website may be used only for lawful purposes. You agree not to engage in the following prohibited activities: § Post Content that is ... hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual."

survivalistdan

We don't condone such uses for lasers. You're the kind of person that puts our hobby at risk for more restrictive laws because you actually think it's justified to cause permanent eye damage to someone.
If you're so concerned about defending yourself I suggest taking self defense classes and the use of dozens of other self defense tools such as mace, tasers and other various devices.
If you insist on getting a laser for this purpose then anyone who provides information in this thread or anywhere else specifically for this purpose will be dealt with severely.
"The Website may be used only for lawful purposes. You agree not to engage in the following prohibited activities: § Post Content that is ... hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual."
I have 2 blackbelts and i am a boxing coach and i live in the UK so i can't carry things like pepper spray, mace or tasers. It is unlikely i would ever need to use a laser but if confronted by someone with a knife for example you, i and anyone else on here would do everything in their power to defend themselves, the last of your concerns at that point would be the general rights of laser pointer users.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
It's not up for debate. There will be no discussion about such uses for lasers.
I suggest a powerful flashlight with strobe.

Giannis_TDM

I have 2 blackbelts and i am a boxing coach and i live in the UK so i can't carry things like pepper spray, mace or tasers. It is unlikely i would ever need to use a laser but if confronted by someone with a knife for example you, i and anyone else on here would do everything in their power to defend themselves, the last of your concerns at that point would be the general rights of laser pointer users.
Then use your black belts of yours and a high power flashlight for fucks sake, don't violate the geneva convention and commit a literal war crime.
unknown.png

Hell, the flashlight would be magnitudes better than a laser since you will not have to aim it and it would illuminate a vast area, the laser is just gonna blind him, a strong flashlight will both illuminate every inch of his body and flash blind him.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Going to have to close this for legal and liability reasons. This is almost certainly illegal in most jurisdictions as it violates international law.

As others have said, a very bright LED flashlight with a fast strobe effect would be a far better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.