Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser for cutting plywood

darioviedo

I am very happy to find this forum, although my motivation is not laser pointers, I think that here are all the people who know about lasers. My motivation to write this first message is that you can help me design a laser head with diodes of 445nm of 5w.
I know someone will tell me that the best option is a CO2 laser, because I reject that idea because of the price, because of the volume, because of all the accessories that have to be aligned ... I also live in Argentina and I cannot guarantee that after wait three months for a glass tube from china, it will surely arrive broken. for this reason I want to make a combination of two or more LDs to cut 3mm plywood. Can I get 10w with two LDs combined using a BK7 glass PBS? Is it convenient to place a lens to focus in front of each LD or a single lens at the exit of the PBS? I basically want to reproduce the NEJE 80w laser, but I can't buy it because I end up paying more than double it due to taxes.
All ideas will be very well received, I don't know much about optics and that is why I want to hear the recommendations of people who are experts in the art of making magic with light. greetings to all!!

Dario

Ícono de validado por la comunidad

Commander J. Bloodmaker

I am very happy to find this forum, although my motivation is not laser pointers, I think that here are all the people who know about lasers. My motivation to write this first message is that you can help me design a laser head with diodes of 445nm of 5w.
I know someone will tell me that the best option is a CO2 laser, because I reject that idea because of the price, because of the volume, because of all the accessories that have to be aligned ... I also live in Argentina and I cannot guarantee that after wait three months for a glass tube from china, it will surely arrive broken. for this reason I want to make a combination of two or more LDs to cut 3mm plywood. Can I get 10w with two LDs combined using a BK7 glass PBS? Is it convenient to place a lens to focus in front of each LD or a single lens at the exit of the PBS? I basically want to reproduce the NEJE 80w laser, but I can't buy it because I end up paying more than double it due to taxes.
All ideas will be very well received, I don't know much about optics and that is why I want to hear the recommendations of people who are experts in the art of making magic with light. greetings to all!!

Dari
Air is the key to cutting wood with a laser. Really, high pressure jet of air is what you will need. I use and engraver. It will cut pretty good in balsa and such up to 5mm or so, with lots of air. You'll need a small compressor, a fish pump isn't enough volume or pressure.

445-450nm diodes aren't the best wavelength for cutting, but work the best merely because the higher power options available. I guess you could use a high powered IR diode, they are pretty good for engraving, never used it to cut yet.

darioviedo

Thank you for your contribution, Commander, it is true, I had already considered making a small compressor based on a disused refrigerator cooling unit. Lots of air will help clean the cutting area!

I have a 5W 450 nm and, although I'm sure it would cut through 3 mm plywood, it'll be a frustratingly slow job.
I know someone will tell me that the best option is a CO2 laser
Have you considered a Co2 laser, though? LOL. No, seriously, it's like going on a tool forum and asking which screwdriver to use to cut through a plank, and then saying that you don't want to use a saw. Yes, it can be done, but it's going to be a headache.