Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser fax 1980 mod help

I have a old laser fix unit that all still works. It uses a 50watt halogen bulb for the light display and a mirror. I want to put a laser in there instead of the 50watt bulb. A smaller laser would work nice something equivalent to a pen laser. I have a broken laser display device I got off eBay for 13 bucks I broke it by the way. Was not weather resistant enuf lol it was cheap enuf. Now the red laser still work the green one went out. I was thinking of using the red laser in the fx machine. Now I read about laser without regulation burning out fast. The laser fx has a 12v power supply. I would like to tap into the 12v for the laser. Now I know if I do that I need to step down the power for the laser not sure how much but at least to 3-5v. Or I could run a new ac power source for it either way I would be happy. Just wanted to have one plug instead of two. I am fairly new to lasers but understand how They work for the most part. If anybody could help me out with this project I would greatly appreciate it. This will help me learn more about lasers and how to configure them properly for my viewing pleasure. Thanks

Attachments

• B833D976-ED52-471B-A9A2-D6A3684D0935.jpeg
    B833D976-ED52-471B-A9A2-D6A3684D0935.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

diachi

Welcome.

Some more information would be useful. Links to product documentation, pictures etc. I have no idea what this device is or what it does.

Reactions: GSS
I have 2 of these Laser FX units, picked up at thrift stores for $5 each. One has a 532nm green module from a cheap moving dot display and the other has a red, green, violet module from an old Spencers Laser Galaxy unit in it. The RGV module actually originally had 12v input, so I was able to use the original 12v of the FX to power it directly. For the green module, I built a LM7805 voltage regulator circuit to drop the voltage to 3.5v to power it.

Both are pretty cool when connectected an audio input, create swoopy lissous patterns to the music, if it's the correct music and the amplitude is adjusted correctly.

The RGV is better, I realigned the optics to output a single beam. The original had them seperated to spread the diffierent colors. Mine now outputs a sudo white. When it is running, it cycles through 7 colors. Becaue of the violet instead of blue, it's not a pure white, but still cool for what it is.

Your pic shows you have the larger unit. I have this as well as the narrow one. There is plenty of room inside to do whatever once you remove the halogen bulb, color wheel and all the other unneeded optics. I can post some pics of what I have done if needed.

From the '80s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJy5viXjZLY

Last edited:
I have a old laser fix unit that all still works. It uses a 50watt halogen bulb for the light display and a mirror. I want to put a laser in there instead of the 50watt bulb. A smaller laser would work nice something equivalent to a pen laser. I have a broken laser display device I got off eBay for 13 bucks I broke it by the way. Was not weather resistant enuf lol it was cheap enuf. Now the red laser still work the green one went out. I was thinking of using the red laser in the fx machine. Now I read about laser without regulation burning out fast. The laser fx has a 12v power supply. I would like to tap into the 12v for the laser. Now I know if I do that I need to step down the power for the laser not sure how much but at least to 3-5v. Or I could run a new ac power source for it either way I would be happy. Just wanted to have one plug instead of two. I am fairly new to lasers but understand how They work for the most part. If anybody could help me out with this project I would greatly appreciate it. This will help me learn more about lasers and how to configure them properly for my viewing pleasure. Thanks

Nice Brick of text....:whistle:

It would be appreciated if you would introduce
yourself to the members in the Welcome section
so that members can learn a little about you.

It would also be helpful to members if you included
your Global location in your Profile...

Jerry

Last edited: