Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser eye safety Help Please (newbie)

Hello Folks,
I would like some advice on laser safety. I am trying to build an XY table, with a laser to do some engraving on substrate. The lasers I plan to experiment on will probably be Blue Ray (404 nM, 100 mW) and IR (808 nM, 300 mW). I intend to do all the tuning etc with a (relatively) harmless 5 mW red laser pointer, then swith to the more powerful lasers. I would like some advice on eye safety, because there is no way I want to risk my eyesight.
I guess I should get some laser goggles which block several laser wavelenghts instead of just one - so I can still use my goggles even if I change laser frequency. So something that blocks below blue and above Red sounds good...
Laser Glasses - YAG Harmonics DIODE - Poly Filter
these block 190-534nm and 730-1090nm at OD>5.
The issue is of course the cost - these are expensive at over 250 USD... very steep for a hobby, but very cheap for protecting my eyeballs...
Would you recommend any other suppliers, a cheaper brand? There are plenty of cheaper goggles on eBay, but I am not sure about the reliability and the quality... these "look" okay, but I have no means to test them...
Laser Safety Goggles EP1 for 200-540nm & 800-2000nm CE Marked with Case | eBay

many thanks

Thomas

I don't know what testing has been done on them, but Eagle Pair are considered by most in this forum to be a reliable safety goggle.

You want to make sure that you have enough visible light transfer to see what is going on.

I do wonder why you are using such low wattage lasers?

I would think 1-2 Watt ir would be better for this build. Also, you can skip glasses and find IR blocking plates of glass that would keep the ir from getting out of the cutting area completely.

Do a YouTube search and you will find some good examples of homemade Cutter assemblies to learn from.

I am concerned with Eagle Pair - as I feel they could easily be counterfeited. If I could test them I'd be happier - but I can't.
I was thinking of using a small laser to start with, then use a bigger one - are there 2W lasers you would recommend for this?
many thanks
Thomas

Here are some 1 watt 808's

LOT OF 5 808nm high power burning laser diode 1 watt DPSS / IR illuminator | eBay

Here is a 2 Watt 808 808nm-3nm-2w-C-Mount-Infrared-IR-Laser-Diode-

I don't know if the wavelength is important or not in these cutting machines, but I'm pretty sure 300mW isn't going to cut much. I'd want at least a watt or two.

I am not experienced in this area though. Hopefully someone who is experienced can chime in as well.

One other thing, back to your original question. I don't see that you need multiple wavelength glasses. I would get infra red glasses and not worry about the red at all. If you decide to try the 300mW of 405nm then I would get some inexpensive glasses for that one, anything under 500mW is pretty easily blocked with even inexpensive goggles.

Here is a link to Sony's laser safety guidelines

Sony Laser Safety Guidelines

Last edited:
Glenn is probably one of the honest guys here who actually practices good eye safety. The group buy is a good way to save on a quality pair of glasses if you can wait.

Also keep in mind you will need glasses for any spectators...

Too much at risk not to, and like tsteele93, I've got some high octane stuff laying around.

Glenn