Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser enhancement goggles

Way back in the early days when I got a green laser > 5mW I wanted some goggles. As an inexpensive solution, it was suggested to buy some Tool King laser enhancing goggles--enhancing because they make red light easier to see for alignment, etc. Being red-passing, they block green exceptionally well, almost too well, with 5mW lasers looking like faint dots, and 80mW lasers just dim dots.

So I was looking at some of those Wicked Laser Shades, and they really don't look like anything more than these red-enhancing goggles, even down to the very style of the goggles. So that leads me to wonder: why bother paying > $30 for such goggles when you can get them for around $20 from sites like these? Tool King doesn't sell such goggles anymore, but they're sold elsewhere for around the same price. Sure, they're not "certified" but I can't imagine those ones from Wicked being "certified" either.

But that's the thing: I just don't think the WL shades are any better or worse than a pair of laser-enhancement goggles. None of the 10-seconds-of-absorption-before-failure type of certification. I wouldn't be surprised if they were just rebranded enhancement goggles actually. Ironcially, the reason I'm looking into other goggles is that they seem to be too good at blocking green light, to the point that I can't even see if I'm shining at something. Still, rather have too much than too little protection.

Well, you're comparing the purchase between LaserShades and those laser enhancing goggles.

Since LaserShades have been verified as good working protection by many users here, it would be a good idea for someone with a power meter to test those goggles as well.

I mean, otherwise you've got tried and proven goggles that are advertised to block laser light, going against completely untested and unknown goggles that aren't advertised to block laser light. And I don't know about you, but my eyes are a little too valuable to gamble a saving of $20 on :)

The very fact that you said you 'think' the laser shades are no better or worse than these has me worried, it means you're not positive. Eyes are a valuable thing, so tests are good :) You should buy a pair and test them yourself :)

diachi

I'm buying DIY parts and a few more pointers for some friends soon (like in 2-3 weeks) I may buy those goggles and see how good they are.

Yeah, I'd like to see. I've heard reports that they're roughly equivalent to OD6. Unfortunately, one of the tests for them at LaserEnthusiast never came to a head. They were pretty popular back in 2006 as alternatives to the far more expensive WL shades that were selling at the time, with the major gripe being that they were just too strong and you couldn't see the laser dot hardly at all with them on.

diachi

I'll take a look when I'm buyng parts, I may just get them, I don't have an LPM yet, but I can still test them visually .

i would also be interested in the outcome!

except i dont like the style of them.

for just a little more i have some 532nm OD4 goggles for sale as a group buy. they are proven and great looking shades too from laser wave

my sig has a link if you wanna check them out.

Justin

Laserglow has some OD 2 goggles for 532nm that allow you to see what you're doing while still blocking most of the power. Email me for details.