Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser engraving machine

Hello,
I am working on the project titled LASER ENGRAVING MACHINE. My primary targets are wood and acrylic on which i have to engrave. I am facing few problems completing my objective. I will be thankful if anyone help me.

Firstly i have made the circuit that i took from here: fun of DIY: A Raspberry Pi controlled mini CNC Laser engraver [last update Jan 18,2014]

Laser that is used in this circuit is extracted from DVD RW. Now, the problem is laser is running but it is not upto desired power output.

i haven't used lens yet is this can be problem ? or what else? what should do now to achieve my result ?

moh17

I suggest you buy M140 laser module with G2 lens from dtr but first you must buy a high quality safety goggles. Also, I used a ttl driver. The driver is really high quality; my laser engraver is working perfectly. If you want to use your red laser for saving money; you could buy G2 lens from Aixiz. They are cheap and will increase your laser power by 30 %

Last edited:
So my 400mw diode extracted from DVD RW is not suitable for the operation? My main target are wood and acrylic.

A DVD burner diode would be ok for engraving wood slowly, but it would likely do nothing to acrylic unless it's a color that significantly absorbs 650nm.

Carbon dioxide lasers are usually used for engravers as the long wavelength is absorbed by almost all materials you would want to engrave.

moh17

So my 400mw diode extracted from DVD RW is not suitable for the operation? My main target are wood and acrylic.

I do not say it is not suitable for engraving but it will be slow and weak. You will have to decrease the feed speed. 400 mW is ok for engraving but not as fast as a 2 W blue lasers. My 2 W laser is capable of engraving on wood and cutting plastic and foam cards easily. You can start your engraver with your red laser then upgrade to blue lasers in the future. You must buy safety goggles any direct or reflected beam will damage your eye permenantly.