Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser engraver concerns

Anonfromgdiysci

So I have some concerns that might sound out there but bear with me
First of all, no I can't get the proper safety glasses as where I live, they would take too long to reach, 2 months, I don't have 2 months until activation, hell activation already happened.
My concern is that of a class 4 laser and before anything else, if some sound too extreme or again, out there, I might have been getting trolled.

So a relative who I live with (in a small house) bought a laser engraver, a class 4 (3000mW/450nm) laser engraver, I told them to make a wood enclosure but this has been rejected, they don't believe in any safety or decency. So with this thing that probably throws out infrared like crazy, how much in danger am I? My sight you see, I like seeing things. It's used in the central room and there is no fume anything. It has been used two times.
This other rather infamous site told me that my situation isnt looking pretty good, even if I close my door and stay away during its activity, its not light tight.
Tiny cracks allow scattered light (dangerous to eye) to enter, and then theres infrared
Are they right? Some guy told me that given that safety measures often include door that can filter the wavelength im looking at blindness in some months
What are the facts? What's the truth?

Anonfromgdiysci

The laser looks the same as this one I got from internet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
First off, that laser does not output infrared light. Without an enclosure you need safety goggles to use it directly. However observing the blue light from another room is not going to harm your vision at all. The only way that’s possible is if the laser reflects and hits you. Those engravers should be sold with goggles. Your relatives lack of care regarding the safety is a bit alarming. However you are on the other end of the spectrum and are a bit over cautious imo. Only use that machine with laser goggles.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Banned for multiple accounts... who are these people?