Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser diode stores?

ImStillCaden

Hey! I'm new to laser pointers and I'm planning on building my first burning laser. Where would be the best place to find a diode and driver? I don't think Ebay will be the best place to find a laser diode that is advertised correctly. What website(s) should I go to find a diode and driver (200 mw+)? Thanks in advance!

EBay is actually the cheapest place to find a diode once you know what you are looking for. There are some places that have good drivers there too, but you have to know what you are looking for. X-Woose is a good place for drivers and Techhood, Newgazer, Existotem and Laserland are good sites for diodes. Many people here buy their diodes and drivers from DTR who is a member here and has a site where you can get the diode and driver put together in a module and ready to drop into a host. His site is: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home.

Last edited:

GSS

Yes, DTR by far as every diode is new and he's a wealth of info with showing every diode's power potential, limit's, spot spec's comparison's and building links. It's like a forum in a sales sight:)
Later on after experience you can try to find so called hopefully new extracted diodes on ebay sources but the knowledge in researching them for purchase will have come from DTR;)

Encap

DTR's site is the place to go/buy from for a first hand held laser build.
His expertly done new diode , driver, module and lens assemblies eliminate several pitfalls of doing yourself.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
As the others have already suggested you can't go wrong with DTR.

That is your best option for a first build as you will get a working module tested before it is sent out to you. Once you become more familiar with these diodes, drivers, modules and lenses you can look for less expensive alternatives.

AdamSmith

Hi ImStillCaden

I have been buying laser diodes at the opt lasers store for a long time. In my opinion, good value for money. I am not complaining so far and I'm happy. Fast shipping. They have a lot of other assortments like laser heads or drivers, so I usually buy more things. I can recommend.

Hi Adam,
Those prices are way off the top every laser diode there can be had for way way cheaper . Save your money and goto DTR Laser Shop you'll get more bang for your buck really. And DTR stands behind all his items basically the best in diodes, drivers and lenses and more.

Rich:)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I agree with Lifetime, Opt lasers is a good company, but for bare diodes, they seem very expensive; their NUBM44 sells for $197 while the same diode at DTR's store goes for $80.
Optlasers NDG7475 is $267 while DTR has them at $165.

Absolutely ridiculous markup on bare diodes from OptLaser - Jordan's prices aren't the lowest avaliable - but the service, attention to detail are totally worth it.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, you get the whole package from Jordan, not to mention that he's an LPF member and site supporter! :)

Last edited:
Opt Lasers is expensive regardless of what you are purchasing. They do have some nice items that they developed for sale, but laser diodes are not among these. It really depends on how much service you need as you will always pay extra for that. If you need the services DTR has, he is, by far, the best source for these diodes, drivers and lenses. If you do not, there are less expensive sources for these items.