Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser Diode Guide??

So I'm somewhat new to lasers and even though I have done alot of research on them, I am still seeing new diodes talked about all over the place so I was wondering if there is a diode guide or "diode dictionary" that lists all (or at least most) of the laser diodes out there. If it also lists the wavelenth and the mW of each diode that would be even better. Thanks!

I've actually seen that page, but that can't be all of them....I've seen sites that sell over well over 100 different diodes

Update: I searched for a few different diodes within that list and they were all there. I'm guessing these are just the most common ones?

Last edited:

Sta

HPO, that is right. He has all of the most common diodes.
Though I might write up a more concise diode guide once I have some time on my hands.

Alright cool, thank guys. Now I have a quick go-to for most diodes that I read about in the future.

Sta, I actually have something to ask you about one of your lasers, but I'll PM it to you.

Encap

I've actually seen that page, but that can't be all of them....I've seen sites that sell over well over 100 different diodes

DTR's site https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes is the most comprehensive listing of visable wavelength laser diodeas of interest to the hand held laser building hobbist community within rationally affordable prices and availability.

What do you want to accomplish with a laser diode and why?

What do you imagine you need that is not on DTR's site and why + how many thousands do you want to spend?

HPO, that is right. He has all of the most common diodes.
Though I might write up a more concise diode guide once I have some time on my hands.

Don't waste your time--is a fools errand.
Serves no useful purpose --information on every laser diode that exists is already out there and available for anyone to see if not to lazy to search/look.

Alright cool, thank guys. Now I have a quick go-to for most diodes that I read about in the future.

You can start here with 12,146 Laser Lab products from 203 leading suppliers Worldwide:
All Laser Diode Wavelengths & Brands, One Site, Comparison Shopping..
There are additional/ other laser diode information resources, if the above is not adequate.

Last edited:
Haha why are you trippin out over this question I had? All I wanted was somewhere to go to look up a diode when I see it being discussed in a thread or in a video. And I have been searching diodes, but again I was wondering if there was just one consistent website that had them all listed out in a somewhat organized way. Its not a request out of laziness, its just much more convenient to have an organized list of diodes with everything you would want to know about them with just a simple click on the diode's name. I think DTR's website will get the job done. And about the "Laser Diode Source", I was actually looking at their website earlier today and it seemed to be a bit over loaded with alot of diodes that I would never be interested in like lab only diodes and LOTS of diodes under 50mW.

Last edited:

GSS

HPO, its because DTR has put so much effort from homework to blown diode's to give us a heads up. Like said there aren't anymore diode's out there really usable for are hobby.
Some popup now and then as new and exciting but just turn out to be duds or just the same ones we have.
Pman did a nice little list of known diode's and their best setting for estimated output and polarity settings.
I believe its "KISS" guide to building laser Its from 2-20-2016

Last edited:
Yeah I agree, I never said anything bad about DTR's list of diodes; I just thought at first that there were hundreds of different diodes, but then I realized that 95% of the time that diodes are being discussed, its going to be 1 f the 30 diodes DTR has on his site. I can see why he is the "go-to" guy for everything diodes and lots of other laser building stuff. Its always great to see someone who has a true passion for lasers...people like DTR and Gray from JL are in it for the hobby, not just the money. I'll check out Pman's list.

The short lived lasers wiki was beginning to have something like this but unfortunately it died. I still think it was a good idea to have datasheets, actual current/voltage/power test data, pinout and other useful information in one place.

Not all useful diodes are on DTR's, like the PL515, low power 405nm diodes, IR diodes, 660nm diodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I think the vast majority of the popular diodes are on his site; low power 405nm, IR and 660nm diodes aren't very popular and they have a much lesser use for hobbyists.

Last edited:

diachi

I think the vast majority of the popular diodes are on his site; low power 405nm, IR and 660nm diodes aren't very popular and they have a much lesser use for hobbyists.

Yep ... pretty much what everyone else said after your initial question.

A wiki would be good - but there's too many diodes out there for us to test and list them all. Many we can't even obtain.

Yes I know, I was just responding to what Atomicrox said. He stated that some other useful diodes aren't on DTR's site so I was just saying I think that's because they aren't popular enough and/or they don't have much use for hobbyists.

For anyone else reading this post, I am perfectly satisfied with DTR's list of diodes so this question has been resolved.